Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have the Barker exhaust and normally run with the quiet core. While riding yesterday, my exhaust kinda sounded funny and I couldn't figure out why. Today, when I went to wash off the mud and crap off, I noticed that there was no screen showing. I took the exhaust tip off and there was only the ring there... no screen and no tube attached. Took a flashlight and looked inside the muffler and the tube is way deep inside, but can't tell if the screen is in there as well. Now have to take the exhaust completely off to try to fish the tube/screen out or shake it down to the end where I can grip it and pull it out. Needless to say... the quiet core came apart for some reason and now I need a new one, but haven't been able to get ahold of Barker to get one sent.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
quiet is over rated.lol that is a bummer though.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tried to blast the tube/screen out the ass end of the muffler by taking off the end cap and blasting down the street... even tried a few wheelies... No luck. I just want to get the pieces out so I can see where the quiet core failed. Since I got sound checked last week WITH the quiet core... running without is really not an option where I ride... Neighbors are not too happy with me at the moment for racing up and down the street with muffler wide open... Then again, I don't give a shit about the neighbors anyway. :birds:

roadkill

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
:funny: the quiet core fail is shitty but the neighbors part got a chuckle from me

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
my neightbors just wave when i go by... well wave pitchforks and torches that is.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I live in a subdivision and we have about 12 acres. All the people in the homeowners association sent a petition around for a ban on atvs on the public access roads. I was the only one who didn't sign it. Needless to say now I have the loudest exhaust I can find on my YFZ and I'm in the market for a barkers for my xx. I also turned the field in front of my house into a drag strip for me and my riding buds. F*$# the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
OK, I have the Barker exhaust and normally run with the quiet core. While riding yesterday, my exhaust kinda sounded funny and I couldn't figure out why. Today, when I went to wash off the mud and crap off, I noticed that there was no screen showing. I took the exhaust tip off and there was only the ring there... no screen and no tube attached. Took a flashlight and looked inside the muffler and the tube is way deep inside, but can't tell if the screen is in there as well. Now have to take the exhaust completely off to try to fish the tube/screen out or shake it down to the end where I can grip it and pull it out. Needless to say... the quiet core came apart for some reason and now I need a new one, but haven't been able to get ahold of Barker to get one sent.

roadkill

Mine did the same . I got a warning from the race organisers fix it for next time or be "BLACK FLAGGED".:steamed:
Going to buy a Leo Vince. :D

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I think it is almost identical to the HMF quiet cores, one of them has a little longer tube. If you know somebody that has one, that would be a quick fix to get you back going.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Being a Euro there are cheaper than the FMF. And it is Ti all the way through !:yay:
might need to double check but i think i remember talking to someone on here who had a leo and the header pipe is not ti but stainless because it was breaking on the xx. still a bad a$$ exhaust

·
Registered
87 Posts
Being a Euro there are cheaper than the FMF. And it is Ti all the way through !:yay:

I bought one, the X3 full "Ti" system. The header is stainless, the midpipe and muffler are Ti. I called them and they said the XX frame flexes so much it was breaking the Ti headers so they don't offer it. The header itself is still a 1lb lighter than the stocker and the muffler/midpipe is 3lb lighter. BTW it is definetly the most quiet "open" exhaust I have ever heard with no insert- sounds perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Have you contacted ehs or barker yet?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you contacted ehs or barker yet?

Actually called both... Barker yesterday and got answering machine. Called Eric at EHS today and he said he'd forward my problem to Tim at Barker and that they'd more than likely send me a new quiet core. Will pull the pipe off tomorrow to get the tube part of the quiet core out... has slipped all the way into the midpipe... no biggie, just too lazy to do the work at the moment.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
An update... Got the tube out of the muffler... actually it had slipped all the way into the midpipe. Didn't take any of the pipe off... just stood the quad on it's ass and the tube fell back out. By looking at the 2 parts, it would appear that there was not very good penetration with the welds... actually you can't really tell how the 2 pieces were joined. Pics attached... You will note that there is something missing... the spark arrester screen. I have no clue where that piece is... probably blew out someplace on the trail. Going to go look for it next weekend.... NOT!

BTW - Pink background is for Nikki... NOT! It was just handy.

roadkill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts