Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After I installed my Pro Armor nerfs, I became even less enamored with the "frame" guards on the machine. After you take off the stock heel guard, the plastic just kind of hangs there. It also gets the living crap scratched out of it when you ride. I hope somebody comes up with something to install in it's place. The problem is that piece ties into the rear fender and that little piece under the tank that has the 700XX logo on it. Usually you can get aluminum or carbon fiber frame guards for a quad, but that is going to be a problem on the XX. Hopefully someone figures something out. Just thinking/hoping out loud here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I manage a body and paint shop, and we install 3M clear bra on vehicles all the time. The film is pretty tough and nearly impervious to scratches and chips. I was thinking about installing the over the "frame guard" pieces and also along the bottom front edge of the rear fenders.

·
Registered
58 Posts
After I installed my Pro Armor nerfs, I became even less enamored with the "frame" guards on the machine. After you take off the stock heel guard, the plastic just kind of hangs there. It also gets the living crap scratched out of it when you ride. I hope somebody comes up with something to install in it's place. The problem is that piece ties into the rear fender and that little piece under the tank that has the 700XXX logo on it. Usually you can get aluminum or carbon fiber frame guards for a quad, but that is going to be a problem on the XX. Hopefully someone figures something out. Just thinking/hoping out loud here.

Looks to be a recurring issue with any aftermarket nerf/heel-guard install. Same problem here with my DG's. That frame trim needs to go...or have an aftermarket piece made up :confused:. I've attached a photo so all can see...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. that's what mine looks like too, obviously. Other than the plastic looking like crap, the real problem is that it now just kind of hangs there, as the stock heel guard tied into that piece.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Can the part of the stock heel guard that connects there, be cut off low enough to reattach to the frame, possibly to the foot peg bolts?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it were me I would remove the plastick all the way up to the seat.

Check out the pics of Wayne Matlock's; it doesn't have any of that.
Yeah, but then it looks like a half finished quad...you know, like an Outlaw!!!

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it were me I would remove the plastick all the way up to the seat.

Check out the pics of Wayne Matlock's; it doesn't have any of that.
Actually, that piece is still on Matlock's machine, they just trimmed the bottom of it off just below the bolt that holds it on. Take a look at this months Dirt Wheels, they've got a few good shots of it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I manage a body and paint shop, and we install 3M clear bra on vehicles all the time. The film is pretty tough and nearly impervious to scratches and chips. I was thinking about installing the over the "frame guard" pieces and also along the bottom front edge of the rear fenders.
3m will not stick to non painted plastics, at least not effectively so I have been told MANY times..

Any luck with it?

·
Registered
375 Posts
3m will not stick to non painted plastics, at least not effectively so I have been told MANY times..

Any luck with it?
Sure it does. I've had no problems with it before. Clean the plastics with alcohol first.

·
Registered
364 Posts
no sh!t? I am all over this.. Any way you can get the schematics? I would love to blotter them out to actual size on paper for an easy template.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Know what ya all mean, In just hangs there, Did exactly what was noted above. Found a nice line and removed all the plastic just below the lower bolt. Actually looks pretty good that way. Got the idea from Matlocks machine as well. My opinion but leaving it off dosnt look good!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Know what ya all mean, In just hangs there, Did exactly what was noted above. Found a nice line and removed all the plastic just below the lower bolt. Actually looks pretty good that way. Got the idea from Matlocks machine as well. My opinion but leaving it off dosnt look good!
Took some pic for ya all to check out of my cut off.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts