Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to where people place their tie downs on the XX when the trailer it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
tie down from the front bumper down to the trailer or from the upper a-arm down to the trailer and on the rear from the rear bumper where the three hole are to the trailer but i use ratchet tie down straps reg pull straps have a tendency to loosen up as the quad and the trailer moves around.....

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Around fenders and anything else where the hook will stay lol

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Basically like Smooth1 stated; anywhere that would secure the bike to the trailer, sometimes you have to work around gas tank, extra wheels/tires

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
one hint at tying down (if mine is in a trailer I go around the front of the frame just behing the bumper...as in put the whole strap thru that way both hooks are on the trailer and then I do the same on the back) but you want to make sure you take some of the movement out of the shocks when you do this, otherwise you will hit a bump and the suspension will rebound, which will cause the straps to loosen up, and BINGO, they could possibly come off. I also leave it in gear. BTW, SCUZZ is probably doing it the most correct way IAW the manual, but I don't like doing that b/c you can't take any of the preload out (not that it really should matter with strapping to that area).

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I hook to my bumper and my grab bar... 4 straps to all 4 corners. Ratchet type straps rather than the crappy cam type.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I had a blonde moment, I thought he was asking where on the trailer are the tie down points.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
I hook to my bumper and my grab bar... 4 straps to all 4 corners. Ratchet type straps rather than the crappy cam type.

roadkill

same here

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Not being a smart-ass, but the owner's manual tells you where to tie down at. I use the foot pegs.
Actually that's great info. I'll have to check the manual. I guess my biggest concern is keeping the shocks from being damaged especially if I ever get Elkas or Foxes that cost a ton of money.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Actually that's great info. I'll have to check the manual. I guess my biggest concern is keeping the shocks from being damaged especially if I ever get Elkas or Foxes that cost a ton of money.
There isn't really anyway to damage them unless you tighten it down so much that it compresses the shocks the whole way, and then you travel forever like that. I haul my motorcycle all the time in the back of my truck, and I just use two tie downs for the front, but I compress the heck out of the forks (make them go down 3"s or more) to make sure if I stop quick that they won't compress more and the straps loosen up. If you adjust yours so they pull the shocks down about 1/2 of an inch (more or less depending on how soft your compression is) then you should be good to go which out ruining anything.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I use only 3 straps, 2 on the front and 1 on the rear. The front 2 go to the foot pegs and the rear goes around the grabbar with both hooks going to the trailer or truck. I do NOT however engage the transmission on any quad I transport, I have been told that doing so and hitting bumps on the road would cause the tranny gears to smash together damaging the gears. This might be a myth but for the sake of a long lasting transmission I do not transport with the gears engaged.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I do NOT however engage the transmission on any quad I transport, I have been told that doing so and hitting bumps on the road would cause the tranny gears to smash together damaging the gears. This might be a myth but for the sake of a long lasting transmission I do not transport with the gears engaged.
I also do not transport my quad in gear. I never thought it was a good idea and also don't know if is a myth that it could damage the tranny. I'm hard enough on my tranny as it is without rolling the dice some more.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I've always just ran one strap over the back tires with a tie point towards the middle of the quad and one over the front bumper pulling back towards the middle also. I've always left mine in gear as with everyone I know, Never heard of a damaged transmission till this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Transporting your quad in gear damaging the transmission sounds like an internet legend. It couldn't be harder on your transmission than the stress/shock loads of riding. Think full throttle drag launches or catching air under power .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hook 2 the 2 front ones on the top of the shocks and the back 2 in the nerf bars next to the footpegs

·
Registered
47 Posts
my riding partner was a serious racer up until a few years ago, and he always says never transport your quad in gear, neutral it is! also, why not set the parking brakes on the XX and leave it in neutral?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts