Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out yesterday and had a little incident with a tree and bent a tie rod and was just wondering if anyone knew of some heavy duty replacements that I could use instead of the stockers.

Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I did the same thing a few weeks ago and was thinking about upgrading too but then I thought would I rather replace a $20 bent tie rod or something more expensive that broke because the tie rod didnt give. I went with a stock tie rod again because it is a cheap easy repair. Just some food for thought

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have thought about that also. Im not sure what im going to do yet. Gona see what the options and price of an upgrade is too.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I did the same thing a few weeks ago and was thinking about upgrading too but then I thought would I rather replace a $20 bent tie rod or something more expensive that broke because the tie rod didnt give. I went with a stock tie rod again because it is a cheap easy repair. Just some food for thought
I"m with crash on this

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm also with crash. I' ve bent 3 but they were all covered by honda warranty. But if you want some with a lifetime warranty american star racing has some as well as the tie rod ends.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My dealer matches the prices that the cheap oem part Honda dealer in Iowa has on their website. A new tie rod cost me $18

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw the ones from american star and jd performance I just don't know if its worth the cost for a set of tie rods

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Bought my OEM thru ServiceHonda for $17.13

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Was out yesterday and had a little incident with a tree and bent a tie rod and was just wondering if anyone knew of some heavy duty replacements that I could use instead of the stockers.

Thanks for any ideas
The tie rod is the weak link for a purpose. You hit anything hard the tie rod bends, a kind of crumble zone and it is easy to straighten.
Ask 92K1500 what happens when you upgrade the tie rods. I think he bent lower a-arm, a Elka shock and a front rim. I was trying to find the thread. Stick with stock and carry spare ones.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I highly disagree with this, but to each their own...
Why do you disagree? Not trying to start anything just wana hear some opinions.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Why do you disagree? Not trying to start anything just wana hear some opinions.
I'll compare it to another issue many people have here....

The stock tires. Everyone complains how much they suck, and are prone to puncturing multiple times. What do many do? Upgrade to a better tire, or buy another Dumlop?

To say an upgraded tie rod will damage other components in an accident, is kind of ignorant, if you ask me. In the case of 92K1500... do you really think an upgraded tie rod caused his other parts to give? I don't think so. It was the severity of the accident he had, that caused his parts to bend. So let's say you buy another stock tie rod. You bend it, then what, buy another?

My point is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with an upgraded/better/stronger, or whatever you would like to call it, component. Hit something hard enough, whether is aftermarket or not, and you will more than likely see damage. Period!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with you, I don't know the circumstances of k1500's crash but I think the severity of it had to cause the damage more than the upgraded tie rod.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yeah that crash was just bad so thats why there was so much damage but comparing the tires to the tie rods is kinda apples to oranges. The tires fail because the tires are crap, but by upgrading the tires you run NO RISK of damaging other parts. Strengthening the tie rods too much could cause damage to the steering stem tabs where they connect or other parts like that. I clipped a tree and it snapped the handle bars out of my hands and bent the hell out of my tie rod to the point where the tie rod was just about to touch the A-Arm. I would not have liked to see what would happen if the tie rod stayed straight and something else bent or if it didnt give a bit what would have happened to my arms, ooooor if the tire was hooked on the tree if it bent so the tire turned enough to release me to keep going straight instead of dead stopping the quad/turning it/throwing me off. So I say I am thrilled that my tie rod bent and will happily pay a few dollars to replace it

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd rather bend a rod than break an end in a race.... I've seen god knows how many quads towed off the course with broken ends cause people had stonger rods. You can finish a race or trail ride with a bent rod. You're done for the day if you break an end.

Not to say that you will always break the ends, it might not be that bad... but it could be worse too! Imagine 4th gear pinned, clipping something and breaking the end, you're wheel folding infront of you plowing like a bulldozer taking the quad and you for a ride wherever it wants.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I hit something in 4th pinned the least of my worries is the tie rod. Lol. I appreciate all the perspectives and opinions. Still haven't made a decision though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I thin k I agree with crash on this one. certain parts are meant to be the week link to save other parts. The most important mistake I have seen was someone built there own bumper to get a better bumper, problem was when they hit a tree the bumper didn't give so the frame did. It was a costly mistake for him. I'm not sure that tie rods fit this ,,, but something to think about...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts