Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im almost 100% positive i have a bad timing chain slap, does anybody make a manual tensioner for it?it is rattling pretty bad at idle.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Did you check the tensioner? If you remove that bolt and put a very small flat head screw driver in you can turn it. Some times it gets a little hung up I saw when I was taking my engine apart. Maybe just turn it a bit and it will free up

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honestly, i dont even know where the tensioner is on this bike, i just set the valves not long ago and i know its not a rod knocking, the only answer is the timing chain.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Look in the service manual. There is a little bolt thing on the head by the exhaust. If you look in section 9 or 10 of the service manual you will see what I mean. They say you need a special tool but u just need a little flat head screwdriver

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
sweet, ill check that out and see if that fixes it, its probably stuck, its been doing it ever since i accidentally sank the bike, i drained the oil about 6 times and everything seems fine except this.

i just looked at a schematic on it, i know i can make a manual one in an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
sweet, ill check that out and see if that fixes it, its probably stuck, its been doing it ever since i accidentally sank the bike, i drained the oil about 6 times and everything seems fine except this.
oh goodness :coffee:

I doubt your timing chain is actually bad or the tensioner you can pull the tensioner off the bike without without a lot of work. Just make sure you put it back together correctly if for some reason its stuck and hasnt tensioned you can have slap but they are a one way deal once the tighten they will not loosen until you manually loosen them. If it has a knock or some other noise than normal valve chatter you do need to investigate it though.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think its the tensioner, it doesnt have a knock, it isnt loud enough to be something like a rod bearing, but the clutch just crossed my mind, im going to check that first.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i checked my clutch and its as tight as it gets but there is some play in it, im going to reset the valves tonight to make sure they are fine, but the sound is getting worse but theres alot of rattling, not a constant knock of a bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts