Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2001 Raptor 660 and am considering buying a new quad. I also have an '07 Sport Edition Rhino 660. A couple of days ago I began browsing some of the forums and came across this one. It raised my interest in the 700xx, so I visited a Honda dealer. I really liked what I saw so I began reading some of the posts. I have seen quite a few negative comments and problems with the 700xx. But, I have also seen a lot of positives. I guess my question is, do you have regrets about buying your 700xx? Would you do it over again? I really like the power, handling and reliability of my Raptor and have mixed feelings about getting rid of it. I have not ridden a 700xx. The dealer I went to only has his driveway for taking a little ride. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

·
Registered
99 Posts
No regrets. Would do it again and again.:hey:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I currently own a 2001 Raptor 660 and am considering buying a new quad. I also have an '07 Sport Edition Rhino 660. A couple of days ago I began browsing some of the forums and came across this one. It raised my interest in the 700xx, so I visited a Honda dealer. I really liked what I saw so I began reading some of the posts. I have seen quite a few negative comments and problems with the 700xx. But, I have also seen a lot of positives. I guess my question is, do you have regrets about buying your 700xx? Would you do it over again? I really like the power, handling and reliability of my Raptor and have mixed feelings about getting rid of it. I have not ridden a 700xx. The dealer I went to only has his driveway for taking a little ride. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated. :thanks:
i have had mine for a month and love it so comfortable and handles awesome was comleteley blown away on my first ride. as far as negative comments you have to remember there are alot of haters out there and people that could break anything :xx:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
my only regret is that i alway end up waiting for friends on trail rides casue they cant keep up...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had an 01 660/719 and have absolutely no regrets! I dont miss it except for the power. Also, at the end of the day I'm not tired and dont feel like I've been beat up. I dont think you would regret the change.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have about 20 some hours on mine and I really like the 700xx. The dealers are giving such good deals on them right now too, I got my 08 for $4900 OTD and there are better deals than that out there. I do want to upgrade the suspension and put the big 3 on it in the future.

·
Registered
323 Posts
No offense, but what do you expect to hear on a 700XX dedicated forum? You need to evaluate your riding style and terrain and see if the concept of the XX fits you. It's a good ATV, but has a fairly narrow focus out of the box. There's a reason the dealers are giving them away, used units are sitting unsold or being sold for crazy cheap prices and there isn't a 2010 model. I bought one really inexpensively so I can cash it easily if I don't like it or I get bored with it (like I do with everything within a year) I certainly wouldn't buy a new one, but a used unit for $3K or so would be smart.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would buy another one in a heartbeat, awesome machines, comfortable to ride great on any terrain. It is all about how you use it though. pure drag applications tend to go to the raptor 700 while back country trail riding is the xx's playground. I paid 7k for mine and have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
No offense, but what do you expect to hear on a 700XX dedicated forum? You need to evaluate your riding style and terrain and see if the concept of the XX fits you. It's a good ATV, but has a fairly narrow focus out of the box. There's a reason the dealers are giving them away, used units are sitting unsold or being sold for crazy cheap prices and there isn't a 2010 model. I bought one really inexpensively so I can cash it easily if I don't like it or I get bored with it (like I do with everything within a year) I certainly wouldn't buy a new one, but a used unit for $3K or so would be smart.
I have to disagree. If you read all the reviews by magazines and the people on here, it isn't a narrow focus ATV at all. It has capabilities to do everything just as it is, with the exception of MX, which most people don't do MX anyway. The reason they are selling so cheap is b/c Honda made a metric butt ton of these, along w/ the 450R and 400EX, and you can still get 08's at the dealers of all 3 machines. Honda didn't make a single 2010 model of any sport machine that they offer, and their 2011 lineup hasn't been announced yet. I have a few different machines, and if I want to go ride all day, I will hop on this. It goes thru mud others wont, is comfy as all hell, and it is a 700cc powerplant, so it would be hard to get bored with it. Granted, it has some flaws, like if you are going from a SRA to this, the turning blows, but you can adapt to it, or get an upgraded sway bar. The stock tires are junk, but that is the case w/ any new quad. The stock shocks suck as well, but same w/ almost any other stock machine. If I had to do it over again, I would buy this quad in a heartbeat. You see this machine win Baja, but not really anything else like GNCC due to the fact that the rulebook states clearly that in GNCC you can't have anything bigger than a 450, so if that were to change, I am quite sure you would see this in there.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I have to disagree. If you read all the reviews by magazines and the people on here, it isn't a narrow focus ATV at all. It has capabilities to do everything just as it is, with the exception of MX, which most people don't do MX anyway. The reason they are selling so cheap is b/c Honda made a metric butt ton of these, along w/ the 450R and 400EX, and you can still get 08's at the dealers of all 3 machines. Honda didn't make a single 2010 model of any sport machine that they offer, and their 2011 lineup hasn't been announced yet. I have a few different machines, and if I want to go ride all day, I will hop on this. It goes thru mud others wont, is comfy as all hell, and it is a 700cc powerplant, so it would be hard to get bored with it. Granted, it has some flaws, like if you are going from a SRA to this, the turning blows, but you can adapt to it, or get an upgraded sway bar. The stock tires are junk, but that is the case w/ any new quad. The stock shocks suck as well, but same w/ almost any other stock machine. If I had to do it over again, I would buy this quad in a heartbeat. You see this machine win Baja, but not really anything else like GNCC due to the fact that the rulebook states clearly that in GNCC you can't have anything bigger than a 450, so if that were to change, I am quite sure you would see this in there.
i have to say i strongly agree with crwh45 here he nailed all the cons in my opinion as well as all the pros that we as a community know and love about her. i actually bought mine in dec 09 and i ot a 08xx and a 07 400ex for 8500 out the door. i have never looked back the only time i questioned my purchase was the week before my first 3 day ride on her. and that was only me wonderin if i went to big lol. and just to clear that up, i didnt. there is no 10s sport models at all to the best of my knowledge and i personally doubt the 11s will happen either atleast not the xx's.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm glad you all like your machine. I like mine too, but I'll stick to what I said. I've ridden/owned many quads and this one steers like a 4X4 on pavement. It's really a pig in that respect. I don't know what Honda did to the steering geometry to make it this bad, but try this test. Take any 3-4 quads and your XX. Roll them on a flat concrete surface in neutral then turn full lock and try to push them. The Honda will act like it has the brakes on while the others will continue to roll. Try a full lock turn under power in gravel with any other 4 quads then try it on the XX....see the difference? I'm guessing they wanted high speed stability so the low speed tight stuff had to suffer. I suspect it's caster and am going to investigate that.

I rode the KFX700 and the monster CanAm yesterday on the same trails. Even the CanAm as big as it is was easier to steer around in the twisties. The KFX was a dream comparatively.

I'm not condemning the XX, but to ignore this significant shortfall is silly. Honda made these cheaply (low grade suspension components, tires) when compared to other, similar units.

I keep hearing how Honda made a "metric ton" (tonne, actually... and it's the measure of the mass of one cubic metre of water at four degrees Celsius)
But I can't find any production numbers on these that could back that up. I think they just didn't sell well...just like nearly every other powersports toy in 2008 due to the significant issues with the economy at that time (remember the market fall, $4.50 gas, etc?)

Again...I'm not knocking this quad...I own one...I'm just pointing out that it has what I consider to be a significant flaw for most people's use. If you've never ridden a quad and this is your first you may be perfectly happy with it. Let your quad riding friends drive it and drive theirs and see how you feel about it then.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I'm glad you all like your machine. I like mine too, but I'll stick to what I said. I've ridden/owned many quads and this one steers like a 4X4 on pavement. It's really a pig in that respect. I don't know what Honda did to the steering geometry to make it this bad, but try this test. Take any 3-4 quads and your XX. Roll them on a flat concrete surface in neutral then turn full lock and try to push them. The Honda will act like it has the brakes on while the others will continue to roll. Try a full lock turn under power in gravel with any other 4 quads then try it on the XX....see the difference? I'm guessing they wanted high speed stability so the low speed tight stuff had to suffer. I suspect it's caster and am going to investigate that.

I rode the KFX700 and the monster CanAm yesterday on the same trails. Even the CanAm as big as it is was easier to steer around in the twisties. The KFX was a dream comparatively.

I'm not condemning the XX, but to ignore this significant shortfall is silly. Honda made these cheaply (low grade suspension components, tires) when compared to other, similar units.

I keep hearing how Honda made a "metric ton" (tonne, actually... and it's the measure of the mass of one cubic metre of water at four degrees Celsius)
But I can't find any production numbers on these that could back that up. I think they just didn't sell well...just like nearly every other powersports toy in 2008 due to the significant issues with the economy at that time (remember the market fall, $4.50 gas, etc?)
QUOTE]

Okay. You have a point on the steering issue you mentioned above. It is a bastard to move around very slowly. With that said, I have yet to encounter a corner I couldn't manage because of the steering. I have not had to do a K turn on the trail to make a corner. In no way am I concerned on how it turns around at 1-5mph, because the only time I am doing that is when I am loading and unloading. You are right about the caster/camber, look at Teixera Tech's forums, and they explain it there, also explain the bumpsteer with the machine. If you try to sit more forward on the machine, to put more weight towards the front, try turning it like that.

I like how you compare it to the other two machines you rode. I really don't think anyone has had the opportunity to do this that much. I have rode both the other machines on more than one occassion. The only thing I see the KFX beating this machine in is turning, but everything else I will adore the Honda with, (such as the comfiness of it, the ability to go thru mud pits and just ride over all the ruts your heart can handle) and I have learned how to turn the XX like it is more of a SRA machine. Now the Can Am is a bit different, considering it is 4x4 and it has more weight on the front to help with turning, but I found the it to really get your arms tired pretty easily, mostly just from the sheer power of it while trying to accelerate and everything. Sure, if you punch any of these machines while trying to turn the front comes up easily and the ability to turn is a lot less.

You are correct on the metric Tonne definition. Honda also doesn't normally release production numbers, but the point I was getting at is that there were a LOT more made than sold, just as there was with every other quad. Which is why I stated you can find all sorts of new 2008/2009 quads in dealerships still that are cheap. My buddy just got a '08 450R for $4,200 OTD, brand new. They still had it in the box in the back of the property. They still had two left last week.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was going to buy a 450r or a raptor 700 before this bike. I'll tell you what changed my mind. I was on back of my buddys outlander 800 and in front of me was my other friends on a raptor 660 and yfz 450. We were going through an old rocky road at about 70 km/h and the raptor and the yfz had sparks flying off their brake discs from hitting the rocks.

Now this was one of the easiest paths in my riding area and I said to myself that looks horrible I'd hate to buy a new quad and have to either slow down to strategize my path of direction or just blow through it damaging my new quad. So I went to my honda dealer and looked the 700xx over and said that is the perfect machine for my needs and to this day I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

But the point of the story is, look at what your atving needs are and research the hell out of your options. Doing what your doing now may seem like a good idea but peoples opinions are just that and can be based off so many different factors that may or may not affect your riding area or style. Like I said it was perfect for me and my riding area/style but pick someone else in the world and it may not be there best option.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Can Am I rode has power steering so no issue there.

I'm sitting on the tank as it is! I've always ridden everything siting way forward...just my style. I'm leaning out and forward on all turns just like with my REV chassis sleds. It helps for sure, but there is still an issue there. What seemed to help a lot for me was bumping the tire pressures up to 10 PSI in the front from 6 PSI. I may actually pump them up a little more as an experiment.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
IMO honda built this thing to dominate baja. Thats the reason for the caster being the way it is and the reason for it being geared so high. Both are easy fixes though and can make this thing awesome in the woods.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had the 700xx for about 3 months and love the the bike!!!! I do not regret buying it one bit!! My trails are not the easiest for riders or the bikes. But i am so impressed with the 700xx have always loved honda for its durability! I have ridden a raptor 660 it powerful and fast but the 700xx is faster, more powerful, better handling, and independent suspension. So go ahead and buy a 700xx!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Just so you'll know, I took your advice and put down a deposit this morning and will pick it up tomorrow. ('08 Black/Red) I took a little test ride around a dealer's parking lot and couldn't really tell much about it. Two things I noticed right off that I didn't like but probably can be fixed is the position of the shift lever. It is to high and I had to take my foot off of the peg to shift it. The other was how easy the throttle works. I think I must have looked like a kid trying to drive a standard shift the first time. It was hard to keep it steady. I just hope I enjoy it as much as I have my Raptor over the last 10 years. If I like it as much as I think I will, I will probably sell my '07 Rhino Sport Edition as well. Hint: The '01 Raptor 660 is for sale as of today. Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Enjoy it. I agree that the throttle is very touchy around idle. On technical trails it causes you to get the front end light which augments the push when turning.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts