Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

To take a jump or not

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Baxter 
#1 ·
I'm kinda amazed that when some riders have others nipping at their heels in a race, they choose to take a jump and loose speed in the air resulting in getting passed. I watched this time and time again in last season's XC event at Wilseyville, CA.

I refer to a situation like in the attached picture... Guy on the right (in air) thought he was bad ass and took the jump... only to get passed by the guy on the left who took a shallow line and stayed in contact with the ground a blew by the other guy. Funny thing is, the guy in the air was in a higher class and he got passed by a novice class rider.

Going back to same race location this weekend for Round 2 of this season's SCCS XC race.

roadkill

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Probably saw a guy with a camera and decided to give a little show. I know I have done some stupid things when I first started racing and I knew a camera was nearby....

Doug

#5 ·
I was the guy with the camera and that is one of the pics I took. My real job at that location was to control/stop traffic because that jump is across the site entry road. Never seem to have my camera ready when I see stupid things... Example: My buddy who races in Expert forgot to have his key to "on" when they dropped the flag on his race.... Then, when he'd made up most of the spots he lost on that crappy start, he finished 2nd, THEN rolled his quad trying to do a donut after the finish line.

roadkill

#4 ·
I'm doing my very first race this weekend and I hope I have an opportunity like that. :hey:

Shonie

#6 ·
I would jump it if the landing was smooth. Cutting a few bumps in a 3 hour race compared to a smooth landing , bit of a no brainer. Add a camera man then "Hell Yes". Surprising how fast a camera man can run when it goes wrong! Deer in headlights ! :eek:hno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.