Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Godam, first time this happens to me, I think I've put too much oil in my quad, I start her for about 5min, wait 2min for it to cool down and the oil shows above the high mark :(
Anything I should do or I just put all this good oil to waste and do another oil change................

·
Registered
392 Posts
After she warms up, check the oil immediately after you shut the machine off. Might make a difference.

·
Registered
340 Posts
First up when you do an oil change dont go off the stick , get a big measuring cup and pour in 1.8 litres of oil thats with a filter and you can not go wrong. By the way dont try and pour in 1.8 in the oil box it will overflow just put 1 litre in and run then put the other .8 in. Man you could try and drain it out of your crankcase check bolt if its that over full it should pour out or loosen of your oil box drain plug slightly and let the oil come out slow with out removing the bolt and continue to check the oil level

Overlord

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's a dry sump system so extra oil isn't as big a deal as with a wet sump. The oil tank is a holding tank while the oil pump pushes oil throughout the engine. If it bothers you, take a length of hose, push it into the oil tank, hold you thumb over the exposed end and transfer the oil to another container. Keep doing that until you have the extra removed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a dry sump system so extra oil isn't as big a deal as with a wet sump. The oil tank is a holding tank while the oil pump pushes oil throughout the engine. If it bothers you, take a length of hose, push it into the oil tank, hold you thumb over the exposed end and transfer the oil to another container. Keep doing that until you have the extra removed.
Thats what I was wondering too, but I don't want to put any stress on the pump as the pressure in the tank might be too high.....

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Godam, first time this happens to me, I think I've put too much oil in my quad, I start her for about 5min, wait 2min for it to cool down and the oil shows above the high mark :(
Anything I should do or I just put all this good oil to waste and do another oil change................
I see you're following the manual and I think you should stick to that! If the oil is high then go to walgreens or some other store to buy a small syringe. You can suck out some of the oil with it till its at the right level. Also, dont forget you're not supposed to screw the dip stick in when you check the oil. Let me know if you need any other questions asked.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks guys, will do the syringe trick and remove the excess....or I might just remove whats in the crankcase if it doesn't work ;)

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
No matter how you look at it, too much oil in anything is not a good idea. They put the marks there for a reason. I would definately get something to syphon the excess oil out, once you have determined that you actually have too much oil in there. Even though it is a dry sump engine, and there fore shouldn't have any windage, you are still looking at the fact that the tank is suppose to be an "expansion volume" for the oil system in whole. Your main pump brings in the correct amount of oil while the scavenge pump takes most of the excess oil and and back to the case. So if your tank is overfull, and the scavenge pump is pumping more oil there, and as temperature goes up, where will all of the oil go? Yep, that is right, your seals more than likely.

·
Registered
323 Posts
No matter how you look at it, too much oil in anything is not a good idea. They put the marks there for a reason. I would definately get something to syphon the excess oil out, once you have determined that you actually have too much oil in there. Even though it is a dry sump engine, and there fore shouldn't have any windage, you are still looking at the fact that the tank is suppose to be an "expansion volume" for the oil system in whole. Your main pump brings in the correct amount of oil while the scavenge pump takes most of the excess oil and and back to the case. So if your tank is overfull, and the scavenge pump is pumping more oil there, and as temperature goes up, where will all of the oil go? Yep, that is right, your seals more than likely.
There is an overflow on the tank. It's a vented tank so really there is no danger of anything other than puking oil out the vent. You could attach a 1000 gallon tank of oil to the bike and the oil pumps will only pump what they're rated for.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
You are right, it ideally would vent out, in this case, VENT BACK INTO the engine. That is where the overpressure valve is situated on this machine. What I am saying is why rely on INTERLOCKS (Interlocks 1. A mechanical device that prevents a component from functioning when another component is functioning or situated in a particular way) such as an overpressure relief valve when ideally it shouldn't ever need to be used, therefore there is a possibility that it is frozen/seized or could have the inability to open all the way upon the pressure being high. I know, unlikey considering it is always lubed on atleast one side, but probable. I myself wouldn't want to risk it. A 400EX has pretty much an identical system, and I have seen a few of those blow seals. You can put a 100 GALLON tank on it, (I know you were exaggerating here as just the sheer pressure of the 100 gals would overwhelm it) but you would still need a sufficient volume of space for the oil returning to the tank to come into.

Now with everything said, if it is just a tad over the mark I wouldn't worry about it. But if it is more than that, I would definately take it out. And AV8R, I think you will find it amusing that I looked up a word HAHA. It is so you wouldn't for Hayden LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Is that a slam? LOL

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I removed it with a syringe, there was only around 10ml too much lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Go to a parts house and get a squeeze bulb. They are about the size of your fist. Probably a couple of bucks at most.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts