Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a few weeks ago i posted asking about why im blowing smoke. well i took it to the shop and they tore it down and found that i needed a new top end. the rings were all shot and damage was done to the cylinder and the piston. 1600 they want to fix it because honda isnt going to cover it due to them saying its my fault. ( i still have the factory warrenty). im still fighting it out with honda. i have maybe 15 hours on my bike its still brand new to me and now the bike is shot. my question is, is it worth fixing, looking for used parts, or just saying screw it and taking the bike and parting it out. this is really upsetting that honda isnt covering it. i talked to the machanic and he doesnt think its from dirt but honda looked at pictures and concluded it was from dirt and it was improper air filter maitnance. this really has me POed.:steamed:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If it was dirt, it would show in the oil. Challenge them with an oil sample. Doesn't matter if you have changed the oil or not, they don't know that. If metal is all that shows up in the oil then there is your proof.

Ask who your dealer is talking to at Honda and speak with them directly. I had to do that on a rear end for my Rincon when it was new. It took a month of discussion, but they caved and payed for a new rear end. If you aren't in a hurry, be a real pain in their ass and see where it gets you. That is what I would try anyway.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Wow, I'm glad that I didn't go with the useless extended warrenty. Seems like honda blames dirt ingestion on everything. Because of all the games they're playing this might be my last honda and hello yamaha
Just because your current girl friend doesn't put out doesn't mean you need to go full scale Liberachi. Try a different girl friend before you cross the line.................:lmao:

·
Registered
201 Posts
air filter maintenence is VERY important... lets see the pics!?

what did the mechanic think it was if not dirt?

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I clean my filter almost every ride because of all the dirt. Pretty much every atv has dirt ingestion. Honda back out on warranties due to that is lame. The reason your oil is so dirty so fast is from dirt ingestion, even with a clean fresh filter. So far my xx has been perfect but I maintain the oil and filter. I'm not sure whats going on with all these blown motors. I know Crash overheated and they claimed dirt ingestion too.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
If it was dirt, it would show in the oil. Challenge them with an oil sample. Doesn't matter if you have changed the oil or not, they don't know that. If metal is all that shows up in the oil then there is your proof.

Ask who your dealer is talking to at Honda and speak with them directly. I had to do that on a rear end for my Rincon when it was new. It took a month of discussion, but they caved and payed for a new rear end. If you aren't in a hurry, be a real pain in their ass and see where it gets you. That is what I would try anyway.
even if this cost you $20 do it. it will be worth knowing the truth. my dad just had this happen to our teryx which has an extended warrenty also. claimed the same thing and kawasaki said no also. its not just honda. air filter cleanness is important but they need to remember where we ride. challenge them with pricing too research the parts you need (cheapcycleparts, bike bandit) show them the cost they can do better than that trust me. we went from 4400 to 2900 to fix the teryx.

·
Registered
505 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i purchased the quad brand new its not used. its not the extended warrenty, its actually the 1 year manufacture warrenty. the mechanic doesnt think its from dirt. my air filter looks clean and is properly oiled. i have been calling honda complaining and they are looking into it. the dealer is telling me they sent the info into them that didnt say anything about dirt and that it wasnt air filter maintance. honda just doesnt want to back there own warrenty. right after i bought the bike i had to change the plug almost immediatly because it was fowled. i changed it and haddent had a problem till now. i love the xx but im very disappointed that a company like honda wont stand behind there name. i have till dec. 31st and then the warrenty is up. my dealer said that since its so close to that date that thats why honda doesnt want to cover it. ive called honda 4 times in 2 days and im not done with them. i will get on there case about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i also looked at the piston and the cylinder and i dont know for the life of me how they saw vertical lines on it because i looked at it and i dont see anything that sticks out especially for them to look at a picture and conclude that. they measured the size of the cylinder and they said it was actually larger then what it should be as if it was bored out. but the mechanic said if it bored itself out then you would see major scratches to the inside of the cylinder and thats not the case.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yep they claimed dirt on mine too but it wasn't. Honda warrenties suck balls. It did light a fire under my ass to do 11:1 cp piston and hot cam. You can find cylinders on eBay sometimes

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm in for the 2nd time in 12 months, but the first time I listened to a dumbass and ended up not fixing the problem right

1 - 20 of 20 Posts