Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the top end of my 700 makes a rattling sound at different gears and idles. anyone else have the same problem or know the cause/fix?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
check the valve clearance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had that problem it was a simple fix, check the two bolts on the head pipe heat guard. If not that could be valves. You could try holding a long screw driver handle up to your ear and place the tip on the head near the valve inspection caps with the motor running it will amplify the sound.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Agreed on the valves. If it gets louder as you accelerate then most likely its the valves. If it is then they are easy to adjust. But as stated above it could be as simple as something loose. Good luck

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinking it was the valves but ive never messed with em before. what do i need to do to adjust them?

·
Registered
258 Posts
service Manuel,metric tools,metric feeler gauges and some patience anyone chime in if i left anything out

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
service Manuel,metric tools,metric feeler gauges and some patience anyone chime in if i left anything out
Plenty of cold ones, cause it's been hot...

·
Registered
258 Posts
thank m quick i knew i was forgetting the most important part

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem. It only rattles while accelerating so im guessing its the heat guard,. I put my foot on it while i drive to test it out and the noise goes away. I tightened it but it still seems to come back every once in a while. Should i just take the heat guard off? much help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had a similar issue when I bought my 700. At first the heat shield rattled but it kept coming back as I continued working on it and just running/revving letting it idle. When I looked into the parts that were missing on mine in the exhaust picture there is an exhaust gasket between the muffler and head pipe. I bought, went to replace it and the old one was paper thin, barely even noticeable it was so thin and the new one was a BIOTCH to get on but the rattle is all gone.

I had to pry the opening on the muffler open more in order for it to fit on and then clamped the muffler opening to put it closer back to the size it was prior to prying it open.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/2009/TRX700XX+A/MUFFLER/parts.html

#11 - Part# 18392-MK4-000

Hope that helps at least I know it fixed my rattling noise.

Dan

·
Registered
335 Posts
Snowdog, thanks for the tip. I have another thread I started for the same problem. Its not my shields. I have yet to dig into it, but this will be of investigation now. It really seems to me that my rattle is coming from the top end, but I suppose its possible that the rattle is being transferred up the pipe.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
i have 300 hrs on my stock motor plus ehs big 3 and mine sounds like it did when it was new . i know because i bought mine new and im the only owner. my heat shield rattles a little because i modified it to fit the barker exhaust. that one problem of yours seems to be all in your head ! send us a sound clip and go from there! if the ole boy you bought it from serviced it . it should be good to go !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts