Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was getting ready to get some work done and seen this and got worried....

Is this normal? Should I not invest the money into piston/port work?

·
Registered
821 Posts
If the compression is good the rings are fine. The piston is ok. Id do headwork since its off. Hell since its apart put a high comp piston in it and cam. How do the clinder walls look. Any crosshatch?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work on computers for a living not engines so just getting this far made me happy lol. First time ever opening up an engine.

So I have no clue about crosshatch. I will go take another photo though.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Your cylinder and consequently ring and piston should be fine. There is still crosshatch pattern in there. See the fine lines inside the look like real fine scratches. The make a lattice pattern on your cylinder walls. The helps with sealing the combustion chamber. Its when you see scratches or score marks going up and down the cylinder when you have problems.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Take your fingernail and see if there is a ridge on the side the head bolts to, also just rub around in cylinder and see if you feel any scratches. Just to double check. Just remember, we are looking at pictures and can't see everything.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Inside the cylinder feels smooth as hell.

The 4 head bolts however..... 1 of them seems to have about a 1 inch scratch on it. Almost feels like it rubbed when lifting the cylinder off. It is near the top of the bolt.

What kind of problem would that cause?

Thanks again for your help.

Also, breaking those nuts of the head bolts was a pain in the ass. I thought I was gonna snap it in half.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Something I remembered , I think it was Jody (Boost) was make sure that the cylinder stud does not loosen instead of the nut. The back right tends to do this as there is an oil gallery on this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts