Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
You didn't ask me, but I modified the cover on mine, but I know some people snapped off the clips. I just didn't want to break those off and have the cables dangling out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks double XX. I think I'll modify the cover on mine. I feel a lot better about cutting plastic than cutting metal on my nice 700XX...not to mention keeping the cables secure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also cut my plastic and bent the cable retainers just right so that you cab still use them. It worked great and looks good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It looks like I am in the minority here, but I removed the tabs from the stem. I just filed them smooth after twisting them off with Vise-Grips and shot them with some black paint to prevent rust. I plan on upgrading to stainless lines soon, so I didn't need the brake line guide anyway. There are line/cable guides down on the steering stem hoop on the frame anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I cut the tabs off on mine.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I used the Vise Grips. Ripped them right off.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
you have to remove these clips or cut the plastic cover so it will fit. Sorry the pics are not the good.
before

after

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
trail tech plastic cover

·
Registered
21 Posts
Riped mine off as well with vise grips and filed. Installed the trail tech riser with the dash for the vapor. Installed pro taper contour bars. Love the Pro Armor front bumper will have to order that. Have the Pro Armor Nerfs expensive but love em!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Noticed a problem

After installing the trail tech clamp with plastic light cover with Pro Taper Contour Raptor bends I relaized that the brank line was a bit snug and so were the cables when you turned. I contacted Trail Tech and they advised that a few people have had bigger bars then they should have had and it will over time wear the lines out. They suggested switching to a lower bend style bar. Anyone have this problem

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just ordered the trail tech clamp and the cover it came with has 1 hole for the key and 3 for lights? The box says 700xx but there is no way this would work unless I removed a light and moved my key:nuts: but even on trailtech website it shows this is the dash for the 700xx. I think this cover is actually for a 450r.

http://www.trailtech.net/030-SHC01-COVER.html

Am I missing something? going to have to call Rocky mount tomorrow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I thought the same thing, but there is a bushing to go in that hole that makes it the same size as the other 3 little holes, I remember it was in the bottom of the plastic bag it came in, hopefully you didnt throw it out!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought the same thing, but there is a bushing to go in that hole that makes it the same size as the other 3 little holes, I remember it was in the bottom of the plastic bag it came in, hopefully you didnt throw it out!!
Gotcha! I was thinking something like that, but I still have all of the packing and no bushing. Gonna have to make a call tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I just did this mod, was a royal pita if you ask me. I used the bars I order'd from Admin, Tag Alius 1 1/8 bar set.

The trail tech riser is so light I'm not sure it isn't plastic too, like the dash cover.
The main reason I went with this set was the dash relocation lights. Well trail tech will even tell you in there directions.

• Stem Cover: On the steering stem, there are 2
welded wire tabs (See photo below.) The tabs will
either need to be removed, or the stem cover will need
to be modified to fit over the tabs. To remove the tabs,
bend them off with a pair of pliers, then use a grinder to
remove any sharp edges.

What this doesn't say is on the right hand side its not just a wire tab, but also the bracket that supports your brake line. Now I didn't want to take this off my quad, so I chose to modify the cover. They have no nifty picture of the modified cover, you wanna know why? Cause you have to almost completely cut the top right hand side away for it to work. I really don't care what it looks like as long as it held my lights, which is a good thing cause it looks like shit. This was the worst after market part I've seen as far as fitment goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No way! I am 6'2 and was really looking forward to doin the mod for more comfort when I did the trail tech odometer but you might have talked me out of it.
M_quick you mind throwing a picture of the final product up here to see?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
No way! I am 6'2 and was really looking forward to doin the mod for more comfort when I did the trail tech odometer but you might have talked me out of it.
M_quick you mind throwing a picture of the final product up here to see?
http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showpost.php?p=7043&postcount=28

Lol, not to proud of my hack job, so no pictures were taking during assembly. If I did take pitcures it could of turned into a what not to do tutorial! I was about to just use the stem and modify my dash light assembly like other's have done under the front nose. If you look at the at the second picture above, user just removes the curved wire hooks and unbolted the brake line support. Well that mount sits so close to where the bar mounts to stem there is no room for the plastic housing to fit. If I put the housing on in front of that piece the bar mounts wouldn't slide into place, Cause they would hit that support. So I just notched the front out of my plastic housing. The wire tabs were not the issue! And if you notice there are no pictures yet of a modified housing. If you don't mind removing tabs and the brake line support clip I'm sure this kit would fit fine. If I were to do it again I wouldn't advise modifying the plastic housing!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Okay here's some poor cell phone picture in my dark garage, this may be the best look you get at it. If you look close on right side of quad, left in picture you can see the brake line support bracket. I still have to cut my grips and install my hand guards. Wasn't sure about doing that before or after install, so I choose to glue them up and let them sit awhile first.

This is picture of bar clamp with out dash, to show how close it is to brake line support bracket.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts