Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy and I installed my TTV last week, it is not giving a readout on the engine temp and the rpm readout seems to have issues. I'm wondering if anybody else has installed one on the XX and what tweaks you did to make it work right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It doesn't read engine temp till the water is 100. It takes it awhile to warm up. If that doesn't work you will have to send it back, my first one had a bad temp sensor . The engine rpm you have to play with the numbers and I will have to look what those are.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I struggled with the rpm readout for A LONG TIME!!!!!!!!! What I finally ended up doing was getting a tach lead from Trail Tech for a Raptor, they have a resistor built in to them to subdue the tach reading to a readable signal. I then tapped into the coil wire right at the ecm. It would be much easier to tap into this very same wire back at the coil, but I was tired of screwing around with it, so I just tapped the wire right by the ecm.
I had ZERO luck trying to wrap the tach lead wire around the plug wire and get anything close to a useable readout.
I don't remember what PPR setting I ended up using, but if you hook it up like described above, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which reading is accurate.
Jason

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone ever figured out if you just have to change the ppr number? I have my signal wire for the tach inside the connector on the coil. The ground is ran to where the engine mount bolts to the frame. My readings are erratic and too high...

·
Registered
381 Posts
If it is anything like the one on my kids bike you need to measure the diamiter* of the tire with the sensor, and imput it in the 'puter. when my sons started getting eratic readings it was because the sensor wire was frayed and grounding out. I spiced it and it worked fine again. Check the wire for breaks or cuts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's a brand new wire..... And I'm talking about my tachometer, not my speedometer... I first had it run to my injector plug that the power commander piggybacked on and had the ground ran to the negative on my battery. So I thought it was an issue where I ran the lead, so I pulled my ign. Coil wire and ran it in the connector, same thing. So I emailed trail tech and they said the ground has to grounded on its own to the frame. So I pulled my left aluminum top motor mount cleaned the frame behind it and put my tach ground there. It is still inaccurate and erratic....

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had a simple eltronic tack for my snowmobile with a similar problem. the tack wire can not be run next to any other wire. the current from ajacent wires was messing it up. it was a cheap tack though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you have the wire with the resistor? If not call TrailTech & order one (as you need that resistor) & tap to coil. I don't recall off hand which PPR number to use but it's in the install manual for the TRX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you guys think it is possible to run a TTV on a classic car? Especially with the tach... I have an old porsche 928 that could definately use it - vs $600 for a used dash cluster... Think you would have a problem with the trail tech tach on a car???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have the wire with the resistor? If not call TrailTech & order one (as you need that resistor) & tap to coil. I don't recall off hand which PPR number to use but it's in the install manual for the TRX.
I don't believe mine had a resistor... I dont remember... Its been too long since I installed it...

·
Registered
32 Posts
No resistor came with mine... I tried all 3 ppr numbers and its still reading erratically...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Resistor

Almost got my Vapor tachometer working as it should, like you, mine was reading all over the place, customer service for them here in the UK was not great, helpful up to a point but never offered me a replacement lead with the resistor built in, I purchased the 700XX kit so it should have been included, they did tell me what size (value) it was, something in the 400 - 500k range, managed to buy a resistor from a company here in the UK called Maplins, guess it's almost the same as your Radio Shack, electrical components etc.
Soldered a 470k resistor into the tach lead, they also said the Vapor should have it's own power lead direct from the battery, tachometer lead to the coil and earth to the battery.
PPR should be on .5. On this setting the reading is fairly stable, tickover is around 1500rpm as it should be, even with the lights on, before the mods just turning on the lights made it go all over the place, mine is used on the road only so I can run at a constant speed and the reading is fairly stable if you use the digital reading in the bottom right hand corner of the display, bar graph is not so stable and differcult to read when riding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Trail tech is sending me a resisted lead. Ill put it on ppr .5 and hope it works better. Shouldn't matter where on lead resistor is as long as its in the hot wire i would believe...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just got my ttv installed also used engine ice after flushing out the old coolant. Just letting the bike sit at idle it gets to 215 degrees and the fan kicks on drops it to 200, I have an infrared thermometer to back this up. while cruising up and down the road it sits from 185-200 degrees. Im curious if this is normal? Also I set the ppr to .5 and my rpm at idle is 1450-1550. I think this is right but not sure. Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
the engine temps are right and idle sounds right but not sure, what is the ppr? i dont have a vapor yet and may get one in the future!:xx:

·
Registered
165 Posts
The fan kicks on about 215 aswell. I was really hoping the engine ice would brings it down.. and its an adjustment on the vapor. Not exactly sure what it is but when it was on 1.0 the RPMs were reading750 at idle. So far I like it. The install kinda tedious. But no biggie. Had to go get a .5 amp fuse and holder from the shack thought it should have came with it but all well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.