Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went out riding around the farm on sunday and was cruising i went to shift into fourth and noticed my shifter was stuck up and and would not go past fourth and had no tension to return itself back to position, i read a couple of forums and i found one that talked about a clip in the transmission that breaks and causes this, anybody else had this problem and is it simple to fix or does it need to go to the dealer if you are just a novice mechanic?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Sorry, I have no ideas on this 1. hopefully someone else on here can help you out. Are u sure its not something with your clutch? are u able to shift back down, and just cant get into 4th?

·
Registered
24 Posts
does the shifter have any tension at all?............can you downshift back down? There is a spring clip that keeps tension on the shifter and a spring that goes on an arm. The arm goes around a cam that bolts to the shift drum. The cam has slots in it that looks kinds like a star. The spring and arm holds the gears in place. It sounds like a shifting fork is possibly bent or something is jammed in a journal. ( both of those would require splitting the cases ). PM and i kind give you a few things to check

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is no tension to downshift, but i can shift from 1-2-3 and 3-2-1 and yesterday i noticed i cant get it into reverse, i spoke with the local dealer yesterday and decided to take it to them hopefully they dont have to split the case but what can i do, its worthless without it. I will say im a little dissappointed in Honda on this one I had a YFZ before this bike and beat it bad and never once broke anything that was not my fault. I will keep you posted on their findings, so much for the sway bar and new rear tires on this trip the tranny i think is a bit more important.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I am guessing that the linkage on the shifter shaft or the detent spring is to blame. Not an expensive part but a PITA to get to. You have to pull the motor out of the frame to strip the right side of the motor down. I have changed mine , probably a little too late than yourself and had to replace a few gearbox parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah no tension on the shifter would have to be the spring on the shifter shaft but I don't see how that would keep it from shifting into fourth and five....must have some other problems with a journal or shiftfork. Anyways good luck man! Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i took it in yesterday so hopefully its something simple parts wise, but i will keep you all posted, again im a little dissappointed in Honda on this one but Fast Toys=Big $ to fix so ill let the wind at 70mph dry my tears after its fixed!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so Honda called me and as you predicted it is a pin on the shift shaft that is sheared and they dont have to split the case but do have to pull the motor to get to two of the bolts. So from what im told the pin is less then $5 but they need $350 in labor to get it out, OUCH!! but what can you do at least it didnt break out on the trail it broke in my back yard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts