Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m in the market for a used truck. looking at Ford F250 years 01 thru 06. I would like deisel but I remember reading somewhere on this site that there are some crapy powerstrokes that should be avoided. Can anyone help me out? :confused:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
if u got a f250 get it with the 7.3 powerstroke (best) cause the 6.0 powerstroke (crappy) sucks. ant get it with the 6 speed manual... dodge is smart to use cummins but the truck will rust to bits in 10 years after you have got a few rear diffs and trannys....hint hint
i want a 7.3 f250 but the closest diesel pump is bout 20 min away and if u put the right stuff on the 7.3 u can get 23-25 mpg highway.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The 6.0 powerstrokes due to their design are more prone to injector problems than the 7.3. They are quiter and pack about the same punch as far as power in stock form however i would recommend the 7.3. By the way i am a chevy guy but the boss at work is a huge ford nut so i'm forced to learn lol

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
the problem with the 6.0 is that it was made in europe where diesel is very clean but in the us diesel is the dirtiest in the world so all the extra carbon from the sulfur caused problems with the auto adjusting turbo and the injectors.....plus just to replace a simple part like a push rod u gota take the whole engine apart.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My dad has had both 2500 Cummins Ram and currently the 2500 Chevy Duramax. He absolutely loves the Duramax. He pulls a 26" steel car hauler on the receiver with the rod or bobcat all the time, hardly knows its there, also a 29" 5th-wheel with same feel. He traded the ram for the chevy about 4 years ago since cummins are too expensive to work on and he didnt need a true medium duty deisel for his purpose.

Just some insight :D

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
If you are looking at ford, then you have a few options. The 7.3L is the best powerstroke they ever made. If you can find one thats an early 2000's with not many miles on it, you will be doing great. The other diesel option in those years is the 6.0L. The first two production years of it sucked, but the 06's had significantly less problems. With a ford, both manual and automatic trannies are decent. i've done a lot of research on all these, I had a 7.3 for a while and loved it, but when I went overseas I couldn't see keeping it when someone else can use her.
I've also had a cummins, which IMO is pretty much the best diesel you can get, I had it in a FORD LOL. It was a HS project, and it was awesome. Only problem, dodge's tranny's suck, and if you put a juice box on them they have a tendency of the injector pump going. As far as Chevy's, well they are Chevy's LOL. I dont have anything bad to say about them really. All the trucks/companies have their problems. But do you need a diesel? What will you be hauling? And I see you are from PA, check these guys out. http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/index.jsp?dealership_view_name=www.crosscountryent.com They are up towards scranton, off I-81 a little ways. They usually get some decent stuff in there, and they are pretty knowledgable if you have questions.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Stay away from the 6.0 Fords!! 7.3's are tolerable if you just accept the fact that every now and then it will leave you stranded (no start) below 40 degrees F. Reason being either a relay or solenoid in the glow plug system or the glow plugs themselves. Fords automatics are just as prone to failures as Dodge/Chevy, they all have to be well taken care of (not abused) to hold up. I am Mopar all the way but there were a few Cummins blocks with in the '98 1/2 - 2000's to stay away from. If looking at one of these years Cummins, check on the left side of the engine under the high pressure pump for the number 53 to be stamped in the block. The 53 blocks were cast thin and are prone to cracking length wise along the block below the exhaust manifold. Cummins did send me a brand new engine for the cost of shipping even though I had 170,000 miles on my '99. If you are not brand loyal then it comes down to staying away from known problems and finding the best deal. Me, I like the 40% fewer moving parts of the inline 6 and cannot stomach the thought of a V-8 diesel under my hood.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I am a Chevy man myself but to be completely honest its just because the Chevy dealerships are able to deal a little more on their trucks. I have looked at Ford before, told them my price range and were not even interested in dealing with me so I walked and bought a Chevy. I have a 07 silverado and its been very good to me and before that I had a 03 silverado. Is there a reason for a diesel? Can you purchase a gas injected truck?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I am a Chevy man myself but to be completely honest its just because the Chevy dealerships are able to deal a little more on their trucks. I have looked at Ford before, told them my price range and were not even interested in dealing with me so I walked and bought a Chevy. I have a 07 silverado and its been very good to me and before that I had a 03 silverado. Is there a reason for a diesel? Can you purchase a gas injected truck?
What do you mean by "Can you purchase a gas injected truck"?

·
Registered
788 Posts
What do you mean by "Can you purchase a gas injected truck"?
I was just wondering if he def wanted diersel or if he could buy a gas truck. I know it sounds weird I think I may have phrased it wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
ahh, Yea I was wondering what you meant being you added "injected"

·
Registered
788 Posts
My apologies. It was a long weekend. Still recuperating. I think my brain is only working at half capacity.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Our company has 2 diesel trucks that are used almost daily.

One is a '95 2wd extended cab Dodge with a 5spd transmission. It has 280K+ miles on it and I wouldn't hesitate to head out on an out of state road trip. The engine has been problem free for the most part besides replacing normal things like gaskets and belts. We haven't had one problem with the transmission. This truck is rarely driven without some sort of load and many times is pulling a gooseneck. The interior is junk. The radio has quit, the power windows have a mind of their own, the dash is cracked and the seats have multiple rips due to wearing the fabric so thin. Oh, and someone said in an earlier post that it will rust down in 10yrs.....this truck has no visible rust.

The other truck is an '03 Chevy 3/4 ton with the Duramax and Allison Transmission and 4 wheel drive. It had the injectors replaced, instrument cluster replaced and something else to do with fuel under warranty. Other than that, no engine or transmission problems. There was also an electronic 4X4 problem but it was a fairly easy and cheap fix. This is more of a runner truck but it does haul some loads and pull the same gooseneck trailer. All the electronics still work and the seats are wearing pretty good. It has 98K miles on it.

Performance wise, it's almost a wash. There isn't a big difference in fuel mileage under load, but the dually does handle big loads better. (That probably goes without saying) There is one hill around here that's about a mile long and is a good place to compare pulling loads. The Chevy will top the hill at about 10mph faster with the same load and maintaining the same speed up the hill. The Dodge is steady though and doesn't lose much speed throughout the hill.

I know comparing these two trucks really isn't a fair comparison considering the difference in age and classification. Also, I realize that both companies have changed even since '03. I have a buddy with a 2010 model 3/4 ton Chevy with the Duramax/Allison and he says he gets 10mpg loaded or unloaded and he's not real happy with that.

We had one experience with a Ford. I'll leave it at that....although my buddy has used and abused his and had great luck.

·
Registered
452 Posts
everyone has there opinions... i have a almost for sale 03 F350 had it for 4 years n not one problem...remember 100k is jus breaking in with these trucks.. as long as u keep up on the maintance n dont dog the shit out of it ne truck will b fine.. only reason y they had problem with the early 6.0 was due to the bigger turbo on them n causing the heads to lift..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts