Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done much in the way of playing with the trx450r shock to work on a 700xx? as im going to try to make some fit both front and rear, and just wondering if anyone knows roughly what springs to put in, as my mate and i decieded it was time to do something about the pogo sticks and were wondering if we could come up with a cheaper solution until i get aroung to saving for a full set of fox evols, my mate ownes a shop called quad parts here in australia so we have plenty of spring/ shocks to choose from,

and yes i am aware that fitting 450 shocks will lower the 700xx a bit but i wouldnt mind that for the moment as im trying to see how well it works as a mx quad rather than a enduro machine (as we all know its untouchable in a enduro)

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I tried the Elka s1 shock springs and they were way too soft.
1st spring approx. 3.5 kg/mm
Main spring approx. 7.0kg/mm

Next time out , I will put the Wiigstyle rears on,
1st spring 4.5kg/mm
Main spring 8.0kg/mm
I rang Race Tech and they are the stifferest they build for the 450r fronts.

Elka springs and crossovers fit the stock 450r shock body.
If you are using the complete stock front a-arms , take it easy as I never tried this with the stock castor. You should be ok but take it easy for the first couple of laps and enjoy. :D

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
i would rather swap with yfz 450 shocks as they are a lot more adjustable but dont know if they will fit

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think there may be a set laying around the shop somewhere so i will see if they do, and see how they springs are compared to the trx450 springs

·
Registered
340 Posts
Folks the TRX 450 shock is 17", the 700xx shock is 17.9". I know for a fact that Fox reduced there standard travel Evol Gen 2 to 17" to try and lower the 700xx a bit so you should have no problems. The TRX shock bolts straight up with no modification. The only problems would be spring rate and valving to suit the XX.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Folks the TRX 450 shock is 17", the 700xx shock is 17.9". I know for a fact that Fox reduced there standard travel Evol Gen 2 to 17" to try and lower the 700xx a bit so you should have no problems. The TRX shock bolts straight up with no modification. The only problems would be spring rate and valving to suit the XX.
couldn't you use the 700xx springs on the 450r shocks?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dont know about the 700xx springs, I just bolted a set straight in off a late model TRX. I think you might find the 700xx springs may be a bit long and bigger in diameter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
No mate I have Fox Evol, it was just something I played around with when I first got my 700xx, I did not like the DS shock swap and all the mods that go with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd definitely be interested in doing this...
1) No cutting of the frame or shock mounts?
2) No grinding / milling of the shock eyes?
3) Could most good suspension guys respring / revalve the shocks to perform well for this application similar to when they convert normal OEM shocks into dual or triple rates? (ie. GT Thunder, Derisi Racing, or Wiigstyle?)
4) What kind of effect would the .9" less shock length have (would it create negative camber or not enough to notice?)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mate the camber is a good question, I could not notice it when I had them on my 700xx, as stated I know Fox reduced there shock to 17" for the 700xx. The problem with the TRX 450 shock is they come off a bike a lot lighter than ours so they may not have springs that can handle the type of weight the 700xx is. But ask Ed or Josh and see what they say about springs and valving. The only mod you have to do is remove the radiator grills on each side.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You got it, but makes no difference to cooling. Before you go down this path first find out what the shocks will cost then your springs and valving, it could start to get right up there in cost.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is the radiator grill removal due to the reservoirs?
i didnt take the radiator grills out, just put the resivour to the front, it looks a bit odd but you get used to it

as far as the shocks themselfs go went out for about 8-10hrs over sat and sun, found it a complete different bike to ride, some good some bad, these are bone stock 08 trx450 shocks, im about 105kg so bout 220 pounds and 6"4 first ride with no preload and compression and rebound in the middle position i found it was way to soft, sat too nose down twitchy but did turn really well,

with the preload to about half way and in half a turn on compression and quarter turn on rebound, the bike still sat nose low but rideable, was alot less twitchier turned in rather well and was alot nicer to ride over the higher speed rough stuff,

with out doing the rear shocks yet its hard to say exactly how well this will perform but it is definalty an improvement and i think for a smaller person it would definatly work, you could have the shocks resprung and revalved but then for that money you could buy a second hand set of elkas,
im hopefully going to make something fit the rears this week and take it out on sat and sunday and see what it is like then

and i would put pics up but i have no idea how, if someone could tell me how to then i would

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know from doing 450r shock swaps on 400ex's that the 450r shocks are sprung differently by year, getting subsequently stiffer -for example 04/05 shocks were sprung at 140lbs / inch whereas the '08s and up were sprung for 180lbs / inch I believe just an fyi

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I know from doing 450r shock swaps on 400ex's that the 450r shocks are sprung differently by year, getting subsequently stiffer -for example 04/05 shocks were sprung at 140lbs / inch whereas the '08s and up were sprung for 180lbs / inch I believe just an fyi
Good info, Thanks. The 08+ 450r shocks should work for me then.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Here goes the pennies.
The stock 700xx is 173/4" long , stock 450r is 16" long and standard travel Elka st1 are 171/2" long.
I think the 450r spring rates changed in 06 when the went with a +1/2" hubs.
The 450r shocks will work but there is a little work with them.

If you have adjustiable a-arms then the castor needs changing and you will also need to pull the bars back abit.
I'll add more when I remember.:coffee:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah i got to agree with baxter on pulling the bars back, just so your weight is further back so you dont fly foreward everytime the front drops

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i would rather swap with yfz 450 shocks as they are a lot more adjustable but dont know if they will fit
i had a look at fitting yfz 450 shocks tonight at the shop but they are alot shorter shock than the 700xx or the trx450,

but im glad i had a look at them as i noticed the rear yfz450 shock appears to bolt into the rear of the 700xx but im not sure if the spring rate will work, and also the resivours are both goin to be on the same side which will look odd and make adjustments a bit difficult,

i will fit them tomorrow hopefully though and see how i go with spring rate and ease of adjstability and let you all know how it is

1 - 20 of 22 Posts