Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im gettin all diff measurements from people on this, my bud is gettin new shocks for his trx450 so im gna try em and if they are the same ill just swap out my srings on my shocks so it can handle the weight, cuz our stock fronts suck, no adjustements , they are like pogo sticks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I looked at this swap also but havend done it. the spring rate doesnt bother me cuse Im not that big. it looks like you have to put the res. on the oppsite way of the 450r cuse of the cooling on the 700xx

·
Registered
60 Posts
Has anyone else actually tried this swap...I took my stock fronts apart today and removed the little spring out of the top...that alone dropped the front about 1.5" and leveled the whole bike a little more...handles better and doesnt push nearly as bad...just dont jump it like that, it'll upset the spings...
So since the front is dropped, a 16.75" or 17" shock should fit fine...also, inspecting the factory spring out of the shock, I bet it would fit the slightly shorter 450 shock just fine....
Let me know if anyone else has played around with this....thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was upset with the fact that Honda didn't put better fronts on it to being with.

·
Registered
734 Posts
What is the length of the stock fronts? LT shocks are about 18.5" long, so maybe they would fit?

·
Registered
734 Posts
What are the measurements on the stockers eye to eye, top mount width and bottom mount width?

·
Registered
253 Posts
top mount on 700XX frame is too narrow........sux
That didn't stop me from putting the KFX 450R shocks on my 400EX.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Nice to see it wasn't hacked up, Looks good!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks. It went a lot smoother than I expected, they really came out great. Can't be the upgrade for $150. The difference is night and day.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That didn't stop me from putting the KFX 450R shocks on my 400EX.
......didn't say it couldn't be done. Very nice work. Still, the 450R shocks are too short for the XX.

I had the same idea but for the 700XX you could use front shocks from a Can-Am DS450; they are the right length and have all the adjustment you could ever need. I would think that you would just put the stock 700XX springs on the DS450 shocks.

Linc

·
Registered
253 Posts
I never understood why ATV shocks were so much. I mean, I can see a couple hundred bucks, but $800-$1200 just for some fronts? Like $2,500 for a complete set? That's what it would cost to put a nice lift and a complete set of badass shocks on a truck. A pair of Elkas for a quad cost as much as a pair of Kings cost for a rail.

Reactions: Tunnel_Vision

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
It's like everything else, supply and demand and R&D. Look at our tire price, I could buy a set of car tires for some of those atv tires.

They have us by the kahoonas!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
the factory ones are roughly 18.25-18.5"....
What is the length of the stock fronts? LT shocks are about 18.5" long, so maybe they would fit?

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's like everything else, supply and demand and R&D. Look at our tire price, I could buy a set of car tires for some of those atv tires.

They have us by the kahoonas!!
This is true, but nothing seems to be as bad as shocks. Yeah, tires are expensive, but you can get top quality tires for $60-$90 a piece (Razrs, Holeshots, etc). Even a single 30" BFG A/T is gonna cost you $120.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts