Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I should do to my trx700xc if I'm not going to be using it for a month and a half

·
Registered
481 Posts
I,ve left my raptor for 8 weeks in the past without any battery maintenance.
It still started straight up and off i went !
Cant go wrong with a battery maintenance charger though to preserve the life of a battery .
Once some batterys have been flattened they never recover.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it to much if its only gonna be a couple of months. The first year I had mine it sat all winter and fired up with no problems. I now put a battery tender on it just to be safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in a similar position, going away for just over 2 months. When you say put a battery tender on, does that mean taking the battery out of the quad? Also, I'm going to put some stabilizer in it:

Are there ever any issues with running this stuff through the engine? If I want to come back from my vacation and run the tank of gas with the stabilizer in it will this be ok?

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
I'm in a similar position, going away for just over 2 months. When you say put a battery tender on, does that mean taking the battery out of the quad?
If you buy a tender it should come with different hook ups. The one's I have came with 3. a Cig lighter, eyelets, and clamps. I used the eyelet cable and routed it under my seat. So all I do is plug it in when not riding, and don't even have to lift the seat any more. Also I've been adding the sta-bil to all my gas, if you read it tells you so much for storage, and so much for regular usage.

http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showpost.php?p=86643&postcount=23

·
Registered
146 Posts
I leave mine sit for 2 months at a time with nothing special. Maybe disconnect battery, but Sta-bil is not needed in a sealed fuel injection system.

Mav

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
MadMav,
Sta-bil and the Battery Tender are good under any circumstances. The fuel injection system may be sealed but the gas tank is vented to the outside. Just my thoughts.
Sid

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
Q: Is STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer safe for fuel injectors and catalytic converters?

A: STA-BIL® brand is safe to use in both fuel injected and carbureted engines, and will not damage catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer prevents the formation of gums and varnish that can clog fuel injectors, and actually contains a fuel injector cleaner to further improve your engine’s performance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Didn't say it can't be used in fuel injected applications. Simply that it is not needed the same as a carbed one. In a carbed system, fuel sits in the float bowl and can create carbon deposits. There is no bowl in an injected system and the injectors do not hold fuel when they are not pressuerized. So you don't need it there. Also, resent testing shows gas will stay good for over 2 years in a sealed system, without Sta-bil. If you are still using the stock vent tube, then this may be a problem after half year or so, but my aftermarket vent is preasure exhaust only. Therefor it keeps the air from oxidizing the gas.

Mav

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
2yrs! Well if that's true then that's twice as long as with sta-bil

Q: How long will STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer® keep fuel fresh?

A:STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer will keep fuel fresh for up to 12 months, guaranteed. Depending on the quality, type and source of the gasoline, as well as storage conditions, doubling the dosage rate of STA-BIL® brand could prolong this storage time to up to 2 years.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i wished i would have bought a battery tender when i bought my xx because i just had to replace a battery due to poor battery maintenance by me trust me i belive i could have found better way to spend 60 bucks

·
Registered
146 Posts
2yrs! Well if that's true then that's twice as long as with sta-bil

Q: How long will STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer® keep fuel fresh?

A:STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer will keep fuel fresh for up to 12 months, guaranteed. Depending on the quality, type and source of the gasoline, as well as storage conditions, doubling the dosage rate of STA-BIL® brand could prolong this storage time to up to 2 years.
Go ahead and buy what they want you to buy. :)

Years of gas research with the military, father in law has 30 years at the fuel refinery. Left my vehicle for a year while in Korea, fired right up with the year old gas and drove 400 miles. Friend leaves his gas in year round. Puts abo 200 miles on the car only, never a problem.

Most companies add stabilizers to their fuels these days. I don't even use it in my lawn movers over the winter. :)

Mav

·
Registered
481 Posts
I got given a cbr 600 which sat outside in london with just a material cover over it , for 3 years...
Brought it home, changed the oil and filter, new battery and it fired up, probably took 10-15 secs of cranking but after that no running probs at all with 3 year old fuel !!
I have small generators and outboard engines that can sit for ages and never had any issues with old fuel !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts