Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
low compression piston 8.5 to 1, gt12 turbo , external waste gate, megasquirt controled with a map, intercooler. You know the part used on the polaris iq turbo (snowmobile) 140hp stock and 750cc. It just crazy the way that sled pull down low to 8000 rpm.The hardest challege is way get a ignition with a trigger sensor..

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would run a stock replacement piston or even an 11:1 piston. This will help on the spool up and make more power everywere.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
i will have s stand alone system tested here in the next week or 2 with the raptors i was thinking of doing something with the xx but they are around $1200 a piece so its going to price itself out of most peoples budgets

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That's actually not that bad of a price. Would that be for just the turbo or at your cost or would that be a kit price?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
oh no thats only the ecu most people generally sell turbo kit for $1800-$3500 i dont have much interest in it at the moment though. The ecu would be more like the vortex just much deeper its more like a motec it will allow you to do everything and anything for the most part, configurable inputs give you a ton of options. It would work well for a turbo

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
High comp piston don't like hight boost, don't know for an atv but my car got 9.5:1 and at 15 lbs it start to knock with a too aggressive ignition map. But i'm using 91 pump gas.

·
Registered
258 Posts
High comp piston don't like hight boost, don't know for an atv but my car got 9.5:1 and at 15 lbs it start to knock with a too aggressive ignition map. But i'm using 91 pump gas.
with 15psi and 91 fuel im guessing anythnig would knock ever more so if not intercooled well enough, high comp pistons spool turbos nicely, especially with a large overlap cam, but arnt as efficient as a high lift low overlap cam, 11:1 should work fine in a 700xx running on 98 fuel, just adjust ignition maps to suit, it just depends on how much boost you want and what kind of riding your going to do

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
My Eclipse had 8.5:1 compression and I ran 19lbs. on pump gas. That car was a ripper, haha. If you want to run pump gas so you can still hit the trails I'd suggest stock compression with lower boost levels or finding that lower compression piston. If the turbo is matched properly to the motor it should spool just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Gt12 turbo should be fine ???
My boss at AMS was an engineer and had a ton of turbo experience. He worked closely with precision turbo designing turbos for our cars. Fast spooling and made tons of power. One of the guys I worked with in fabrication was building a turbine for NIU while getting his degree in mechanical engineering. He used a really small turbo for it that probably would have worked out awesome for the xx. I would get Precision Turbo on the phone and explain to them your situation. I think based on a few questions they could help you narrow down to the proper turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Gt12 turbo should be fine ???
Check out the Raptor forums, a lot of those guys are already running turbo setups. I called English Racing when I was thinking about a turbo setup and they said they could do it, I didn’t really get into to much detail with them over the phone (didn’t know what I wanted to do yet and didn’t want to waste their time) Here’s a link to turbo talk on one of the Raptor forums, I think they will have a lot of useful info that may be able to be applied to the XX.
http://www.moddedraptor.com/community/turbo-talk/

·
Registered
258 Posts
what octane rated pump fuel do you get in the states? In aus we get 91, 95 and 98, and most small airports sell 101

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
In CA its 87 89 91 with some stations having 100. I know a lot of other states have 93 not 91.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
87, 89, and E85 (Ethanol 105) around here. Used to be 93, but the E-85 took its place a few years back.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts