Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt know where to post this but since it has somthing to do with tires i will in here. Yesterday i was riding with a buddy who has a raptor and we traded quads for alittle, and i was amazed on how easy his was to turn around. I feel like the honda has to take such a wider turn then my friends raptor just to turn around. I was wondering if the irs has somthing to do with that? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
It is all about the IRS. There are numerous threads on this, about the quad pushing thru turns and BODY roll. There are different things that help out, like a sway bar, different tires, shocks, this and that. So far, if you are looking for something that turns better, it looks like 8ton's sway bar is the best bang for your buck regarding the reviews. When you ride it more how it is though, you will be able to turn it a lot better. It will probably never be as easy as on a straight axle, but each has it's benefits.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't know if he was talking about turning cycle but you could get texera tech a arms which make it steer quicker but not tighter.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
An aftermarket sway bar helps the push tremendously............but IMO the Honda engineers missed the boat on the turning radius. The sway bar will make the most for what youv'e got, but the bike will still turn way to wide for what it is.

·
Registered
201 Posts
decreasing turning radius is easy, just grind about 1/8" off each side of the steering stops at the bottom of the steering stem until you find the sweetspot. ;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
decreasing turning radius is easy, just grind about 1/8" off each side of the steering stops at the bottom of the steering stem until you find the sweetspot. ;)
That does not sound safe at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
the L8ton racing swaybar improves this and well priced. i have one fitted to mine.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
i have done it several times. i hacked them completely off on my first flat track racer, i loved the wicked countersteer.

there is plenty of material there, you just cant go too far or the inside of the front rims will hit the a arm during full lock. thats why i said a small amount at a time.

PS: it will be done on my 700xx too at some point.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mate, get a Kyle8ton sway bar and it will fix 90% of your problems. Being IRS it will always have a big turning circle, I solve that problem by flick turning the quad.

Overlord

·
Registered
755 Posts
Mate, get a Kyle8ton sway bar and it will fix 90% of your problems. Being IRS it will always have a big turning circle, I solve that problem by flick turning the quad.

Overlord
Also known as the scandinavian flick ;)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
i have done it several times. i hacked them completely off on my first flat track racer, i loved the wicked countersteer.

there is plenty of material there, you just cant go too far or the inside of the front rims will hit the a arm during full lock. thats why i said a small amount at a time.

PS: it will be done on my 700xx too at some point.
I am gonna try this, cause the stock turning radius is a joke. Thanks!! Just gotta make sure the bars will clear the tank too.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Good luck but the sway bar does eliminate the front end push.
Yes, I have had a Sonic for a while now and love it. Not the push I am trying to fix now, just making the turning radius itself shorter.

I just went and looked and it won't be as easy as it seems. I didn't know what those goofy looking things on the back of the bottom a-arms were for until now. They appear to be a "rim slider" the way that they are positioned. With the stops at the stem where they are there isn't much clearance between the rim and the "rim slider" on the a-arms. I am afraid the geometery is what it is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
would taller tires up front help at all with the push at all or nahh?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
would taller tires up front help at all with the push at all or nahh?
Depends who you ask. I have 23" Razr 2s and they did help. There are some that say the same about the 22" Razr 2s also. I am sure somebody has tried both and can give you some feedback.

What size are you running?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts