Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
decreasing turning radius is easy, just grind about 1/8" off each side of the steering stops at the bottom of the steering stem until you find the sweetspot. ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
i have done it several times. i hacked them completely off on my first flat track racer, i loved the wicked countersteer.

there is plenty of material there, you just cant go too far or the inside of the front rims will hit the a arm during full lock. thats why i said a small amount at a time.

PS: it will be done on my 700xx too at some point.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, I have had a Sonic for a while now and love it. Not the push I am trying to fix now, just making the turning radius itself shorter.

I just went and looked and it won't be as easy as it seems. I didn't know what those goofy looking things on the back of the bottom a-arms were for until now. They appear to be a "rim slider" the way that they are positioned. With the stops at the stem where they are there isn't much clearance between the rim and the "rim slider" on the a-arms. I am afraid the geometery is what it is.
i just checked it out... this machine is about maxed out as far as countersteer options.

one would have to run wheel spacers or different offst rim in the front and cut the stemstops to get more. oh well, i know what its like to be wanting a tighter steering radius, and what ever it takes if it does what you want it to. i personally havent needed this on this particular machine because it has WICKED sidebite and is hard to slide (some of the other responses in this thread will attend to that) so it difficult to put it in a "spinout" situation without pitching the rider off.:rock:

IF i was racing this thing in TT/oval/tight trails i might need more end point travel on the steering. but mine is from a countersteer perspective not just how it turns around. if it was me id just click it in reverse get it turned around and whoop the craptors azzes.:xx:

·
Registered
201 Posts
the reason why tractors turn so tight is specific to their application. they need to turn tight to get in and out of the tight spots they live in. backhoe tractors turn even tighter as they are used in cramped construction areas. they also move very slow, if our wheelers would have the same turning ratio, it would be easy to loose control at speed. the new can am atvs have two settings to their power steering systems to make ppl more comfortable with the ease of steering at speed.

last thing honda wants is more lawsuits...they learned their lesson with the trikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.