Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

turning ability

11K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  Baxter 
#1 ·
I didnt know where to post this but since it has somthing to do with tires i will in here. Yesterday i was riding with a buddy who has a raptor and we traded quads for alittle, and i was amazed on how easy his was to turn around. I feel like the honda has to take such a wider turn then my friends raptor just to turn around. I was wondering if the irs has somthing to do with that? Thanks

#2 ·
It is all about the IRS. There are numerous threads on this, about the quad pushing thru turns and BODY roll. There are different things that help out, like a sway bar, different tires, shocks, this and that. So far, if you are looking for something that turns better, it looks like 8ton's sway bar is the best bang for your buck regarding the reviews. When you ride it more how it is though, you will be able to turn it a lot better. It will probably never be as easy as on a straight axle, but each has it's benefits.

#3 ·
I don't know if he was talking about turning cycle but you could get texera tech a arms which make it steer quicker but not tighter.

#6 ·
That does not sound safe at all.

#8 ·
the L8ton racing swaybar improves this and well priced. i have one fitted to mine.

#11 ·
i have done it several times. i hacked them completely off on my first flat track racer, i loved the wicked countersteer.

there is plenty of material there, you just cant go too far or the inside of the front rims will hit the a arm during full lock. thats why i said a small amount at a time.

PS: it will be done on my 700xx too at some point.

#12 · (Edited)
Mate, get a Kyle8ton sway bar and it will fix 90% of your problems. Being IRS it will always have a big turning circle, I solve that problem by flick turning the quad.

Overlord

#13 ·
Also known as the scandinavian flick ;)

#21 ·
21's i wish i got 23's not though. haha Maybe i can sell the stock fronts and the 21 razrs and then get some 23 razrs cuz idk it just makes sense to have that size

#22 ·
larger the tire larger ur turning radius will be...

#25 · (Edited)
Am I the only one that thinks the stock turning radius is way to wide as compared to other sport quads? Just to clarify, I am not talking about push. My Rincon will turn a much tighter circle. I agree, sliding the rear end around fixes the problem when you can. Has anyone tried turning around on a country oil and chip road? Good thing it has reverse. Wet pavement is different as you can slide it around, but it don't like to do dry pavement donuts like a Banshee. I know they are not made for the road, but alot of places that we ride at, we ride to them. It isn't that big a problem, it just seems like they could have done better.

Not trying to hijack your thread hondatee, just seemed to be along the same topic.

#27 ·
dont worry about that eehonda I learn so much about my 700 just reading all of your posts. So 700maniac you are saying larger tires up front will be harder to turn around?

#30 ·
hrs on the quad will fix this also and its the cheapest way to go. and also the l8ton swaybar and 23 rzr up front

#31 ·
i went for the first real ride (3-5hr) on my recon since i got my xx and i for got how small the turnig radius is on the lil recon 250.... its bout 1/2 of the xx's

#35 ·
I have got mine to turn better than the 450r even in the tight ,slow stuff.
Most mods mentioned on this post will help but with the setup I have there is not even a hint of push and it turns tight perfect. :D

#41 ·
I think it is the tread pattern that helps the push. The tractor analogy might not exactly fit here. They are looking more at surface area, minimizing compaction like Baxter said. I have had the front end push on many a 2WD tractor, but not ever that I recall on a front wheel assist(with or without the front end kicked in). There again, you can argue that it is the pattern over the size. The open differential is also a important difference.

#42 ·
the reason why tractors turn so tight is specific to their application. they need to turn tight to get in and out of the tight spots they live in. backhoe tractors turn even tighter as they are used in cramped construction areas. they also move very slow, if our wheelers would have the same turning ratio, it would be easy to loose control at speed. the new can am atvs have two settings to their power steering systems to make ppl more comfortable with the ease of steering at speed.

last thing honda wants is more lawsuits...they learned their lesson with the trikes.

#43 ·
You guys have a lot of interesting ways to look at things...

I'm ready to put the tractor analogy out to pasture, so to speak...I was digging a bit on the concept of tall tire vs short on the front/rear. For the sake of discussion, lets assume front and back are the same foot print (compaction) and turning radius has not been altered...Lets assume the xx and IRS, but very tall on front vs very short.

Does tire height make a difference, or if it does, is it so slight that it doesn't really come into play? There have been comments about it in different forums especially 22 vs 23. Can 1/2" radius make a noticeable change? I supect lowering the CoG on the front helps turning. I am trying to get my arms around how going up in height would help turning. Not to say it doesn't, just trying to understand.

Has anyone made a large diameter change (couple of inches) to only front or back on the same machine and can comment on the experience?

#45 ·
Being a farmer, it depends on what kind of tractor as to where all the weight is. Anyway, not only do tractors have differentials (if 4x4 they even have 2), but they have brakes for each side. When someone plows their field, or your BackHoe guy is getting in a tight spot, they lock up say the left rear tire to turn left,and vice versa. They have bigger tires on the back more so for traction, that way if they get into some deep, and considering the differential is the lowest part on any tractor in the rear, bigger tires allow more ground clearance. Now some tractors have huge tires in the front as well, but those tractors articulate in the middle to steer, so your everyday tractor wouldn't be able to turn w/ big tires in the front considering they steer just like our quads. Also, the amount of degrees that you can turn the average tractor tire (side to side) I bet is probably another 15-20% more than it is on the XX. Just my 2 cents (and I grew up/ live on a farm).

#50 ·
Are you suggesting a benefit of different turning radius, or less understeer/push?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.