Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used K&N for all of my cars and quads. I checked my local shop and they checked with K&N and they said they are currently working on a air filter for the 700xx, but no ETA as to when it will be available. I have never used a UNI filter, but my buddy had one for his 450r and said it came loose after a long day of riding was just laying in the box. Kinda makes me hesitate to get a UNI. Should I wait for the K&N?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Is it too dusty where you ride? If so then UNI is the safer way to go. The only way a UNI would come loose would be if it was not well installed. I have run nothing but UNI for 10 years and never a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Check out my thread I made here:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=377950

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]What kind of filter do you recommend? (Why?)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Foam[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]83[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]71.55%[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Cotton[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]19[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]16.38%[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Paper[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]14[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]12.07%[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Total:[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]116 votes[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]100%[/FONT]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it too dusty where you ride? If so then UNI is the safer way to go. The only way a UNI would come loose would be if it was not well installed. I have run nothing but UNI for 10 years and never a problem.
Super dusty, never rains here... My buddy is a quad mechanic, not sure how it came loose on his 450r. Maybe he was having a bad day... it does seem like a foam filter would be better for dust though. I've had a K&N on my 400ex for ten years with an outerwear with no issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a K&N, the easiest way to get it is the pro design kit on ebay. K&N will probably never make a specific kit since the filter actually clamps down on the rubber boot that hooks to the throttle body. That is where the Pro design kit comes in, They machine a metal insert to go inside of the stock rubber boot, then the filter can clamp down tight!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm really satisfied with UNI and its protection from particles but I dont like the way it fits on the actually housing. It always makes me a little nervous that its going to slid off. Do you guys get a real good seal or am I doing something wrong? I check the damn thing a couple times on every ride, maybe its just my OCD kicking in.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I have a K&N, the easiest way to get it is the pro design kit on ebay. K&N will probably never make a specific kit since the filter actually clamps down on the rubber boot that hooks to the throttle body. That is where the Pro design kit comes in, They machine a metal insert to go inside of the stock rubber boot, then the filter can clamp down tight!
So my thinking is that it is the kit for a 06 450r. I use a 06 450r insert ring and 250r uni filters. The 06 450r Uni filter is very very much like the size of the stock 700xx filter.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I'm really satisfied with UNI and its protection from particles but I dont like the way it fits on the actually housing. It always makes me a little nervous that its going to slid off. Do you guys get a real good seal or am I doing something wrong? I check the damn thing a couple times on every ride, maybe its just my OCD kicking in.

Do you use the stock bracket/basket holder thingy?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
667 Posts
i cut big peices out of the stock filter cage & run a moose racing foam filter, never have a problem, EHS air box lid is key to proper airflow and keeping the filter clean and dry.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you use the stock bracket/basket holder thingy?
Yeah! I've just always put some grease on the inside of the filter ring for extra protection from debris but I dont with this filter because it slips right off the rubber housing when you tighten the hose clamp even with the little bracket.

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So my thinking is that it is the kit for a 06 450r. I use a 06 450r insert ring and 250r uni filters. The 06 450r Uni filter is very very much like the size of the stock 700xx filter.
That pro-flow kit does look pretty nice! But pricey! Where did you get the 450r insert ring? Maybe one of those rings and the Uni would be a good setup as well.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
The ring is a OEM 06 filter ring . You can get ali ones of Ebay.Go for 06 and newer. The 04-05 are smaller in diameter. Sorry for the delay in replying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts