Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've almost made my mind up to buy a Grizzly - I know, that's very anti Honda and from my experience there is nothing better than a Honda mainly because of reliability. I would love to own a white Rincon - that being said...

Someone tell me why I should buy a Honda Rincon over the Yamaha Grizzly?

Everything i've read says - "Nothing stops a Honda - not even the brakes". Evidently the Rincons aren't known for stopping very well. And the BIGGEST problem of all is they dont have 4wheel lock. So when you need 4wd, the tire in the front with the least amount of grip... starts spinning while the other stands still.

My use for my utility quad: I plan to use it to climb anything and everything that my XX doesn't/can't/I dont have the balls to do. I want something thats a tad more comfortable and also something I could take hunting. I'm not going to jack it all up or put snorkels on it for deep mud, but I probably will do wheels/tires/power commander.

Discuss.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've almost made my mind up to buy a Grizzly - I know, that's very anti Honda and from my experience there is nothing better than a Honda mainly because of reliability. I would love to own a white Rincon - that being said...

Someone tell me why I should buy a Honda Rincon over the Yamaha Grizzly?

Everything i've read says - "Nothing stops a Honda - not even the brakes". Evidently the Rincons aren't known for stopping very well. And the BIGGEST problem of all is they dont have 4wheel lock. So when you need 4wd, the tire in the front with the least amount of grip... starts spinning while the other stands still.

My use for my utility quad: I plan to use it to climb anything and everything that my XX doesn't/can't/I dont have the balls to do. I want something thats a tad more comfortable and also something I could take hunting. I'm not going to jack it all up or put snorkels on it for deep mud, but I probably will do wheels/tires/power commander.

Discuss.
The Rincon is a turd compared to the Grizzly. No diff lock, no engine brake, no power steering, 680cc with the power of a 500cc. The trannies aren't very good, and no good in mud due to the 3 speed. I had an 07 Rincon and traded it for my Gade. On the other hand we have 2 08 Grizzly 700 eps, and they're a POS also. They stall all the time, sloppy handling, tippy and flat out dangerous to ride aggressively due to being tippy, stock wheels and no feel of the trail with power steering. They suck on gas for long range.

I just bought the wife and 09 rancher 420 efi. Has power steering, IRS and GPS. It's a midsize with close to the same power as the Rincon and work very well. It has a 5 speed electric shift, plus a full auto mode.

As for myself there is only one 4x4 machine that I'll buy and it's a Gade 800. 15k and no problems and comes with a three year warranty for peace of mind.

Honda is retards when it comes to their utility atvs. They basically lookafter the farmers and sheep chasers. For the enthusiast go with one of the others.

Ones I'd look at it.

Polaris 850XP (excellent reviews)
Outander 650 (fantastic machine, It's actually better than the 800 for drivability. The 800 has too much power and the 650 is balanced)
Outlander 500 (smokes the Rincon, plus more features for less price)
Brute 750 (lots of grunt down low)
King Quad 750 (Best bang for your dollar)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RIGHT ON! That's what I was looking for! Someone with some experience. My neighbor used to be the Can Am finance mgr, and he has one and swears by them. I'm not buying a used one - i wonder if he'd sell me his... hrmm... His is a Outlander 800.

I like the idea of the Renegades. I rode one in the spring and HATED the brakes on it. I wondered if it was ever going to stop. It was very fast though. Not as fast as my XX though. :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
I would say both are very reliable. One of my good friends has the Grizz and it is a beauty, no problems whatsoever. The only things I can really add from what you said already that I can compare that are different are that the Grizzly has EPS (Electronic Power Steering, wont need a damper!) and differences in wheel travel and ground clearance:
Rincon Front travel 6.9in Grizz 7.1in
Rincon Rear travel 8in Grizz 9.5in
Rincon Ground clearance 10in Grizz 11.8in

That being said I would test drive them both and see what I like. I know I own a rappy but both my previous dirtbikes were Hondas, a CR125R and a CR250R.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I hate to say it but Honda utility quads arent the greatest, Yamaha is superior there. Diff lock is AMAZING, and a must have in my opinion. Honda brakes suck and they're wayyy overpriced.

Stick with Yamaha.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have ridden an 08 outlander 800 and I have a 02 foreman. my choice would be an outlander. Its a big stable powerfull bike.The one I rode hads pulled in a lot of rzr that have burnt up belts on the sand. But if I had to pick between the rincon or thr griz it would be a griz

·
Registered
375 Posts
RIGHT ON! That's what I was looking for! Someone with some experience. My neighbor used to be the Can Am finance mgr, and he has one and swears by them. I'm not buying a used one - i wonder if he'd sell me his... hrmm... His is a Outlander 800.

I like the idea of the Renegades. I rode one in the spring and HATED the brakes on it. I wondered if it was ever going to stop. It was very fast though. Not as fast as my XX though. :D
I have the X model so i have the brakes on both sides. I believe they had the both starting in 08 on the yellow one too. I know the 07 only had the one lever. The engine brake is so strong on them anyways I barely use the brakes at all. Still on my original set of pads. I have 2 2010's on order and should be here shortly. They have the Dual Mode EPS which is an industry first and I think the rest is going to follow.

P.S.. Don't drag race a Gade, you'll be disappointed.lol The 700xx does have it up top though.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
i gotta say the kingquad 700 and brute force 750 got it going on the kingquad has so much power to pull and climb along with the fact that it keeps up with the xx

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my new quad today...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roflmao... there's something else new in my garage too...

I pretty much stole this raptor today. I didn't really buy it to ride as much as I bought it to flip/trade into a Grizzly :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
The grizzly is an awesome machine i had one b4 my xx and loved it no comparison to the rincon, dont get me wrong i love my honda but if i went with a ute it would be a grizzly for the comfort and the controls(diff lock, power steering, etc.)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for the comments! haha Possible trade already on a Grizzly! yay!

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
My dad has a sportsman 850 and the thing is a tank! Its over 800lbs wet and you can definatly feel it on the trails. Power is impressive but i was expecting more after riding my XX. The engine braking is awesome and breaks work very well. Handling was terrible until we added 2 clicks on the preload which helped a lot but its still scary trying to go fast on tight trails. The tires suck, we got 2 flats in the 1st 300 miles so our next mod is 25" ITP Terracross on 14" wheel which should help in the handling department. Overall its a great quad for casual trail riding, climbing crap or work but if your buying it to haul @ss through the trails, look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
grizzlys are bad a$$ hauled more elk out of places you would be scared to walk in to with it and the articcats. 600hrs 2700mi 3 drownings and everything is still good valves wernt even out of adjustment when i just had it serviced for the first time ever.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I have a rincon that I am happy with. That being said, I bought it off a REPO for cheap, had a lift, bigger wheels and tires, and the big three. I knew going in it isn't the best in it's class, but it is a HONDA, and will live forever.
Now my cousin has a brute force 750, and w/ the big three on mine, he still has me down low and the way up. My ride is a bit comfy due to the aftermarket upgrades, but his isn't bad either.
His brother has the grizzly, which is nice, I just didn't find it as comfy. I havent raced him on the road or anything, and don't know the pulling power, but I rode it once in the woods, and it just felt too narrow to me. I am not knocking either of these, just so everyone knows. I am pro-HONDA all the way, but if I had it to do over again and found a Brute Force for what I paid for mine, I would be all over it. The overdrive button in reverse and the locking DIFF is awesome. Like I said, not too familiar w/ the grizzly besides my one ride on it.
Now if money is no issue (which obviously in your case you must have one hell of a sugar mama----unless someone pays you to drive the POS suz---)haha the try the renegade. But for 13K or 15k like the one guy paid on here, that is a lot of moolah, when IMO you could get a Brute or Grizz and drop the other 7gs into it and have the ultimate machine w/ hot tub/jacuzzi/kegerator/AC...............:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts