Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this on the ATVConnection forums too, I'd just like to see if I could find anymore help here.

My problem is, i adjust my valve clearance to spec (.15 intake and. 2 for exhaust) and my quad runs good and quiet. Within an hour or two of riding, i can hear my valves clicking and clanking. Get home, and there at about 3-4 times out of spec, rough guess their at about. 5 each or so. What the heck is causing this? And YES my adjusting bolts have been tightened all the way. I even tightened them a few pounds over what the torque rating said they should be. When i go to adjust them they are still tight too.

My only guess is that my rocker arms are wearimg where they touch the cam. When i last had the head off a week ago, they definately looked worn, but i figured that was normal.

Regardless, how could they possibly be wearing THAT much within 1 or 2 hours of riding?! I do not understand.

My bike is a 700xx. Also, i think when they are that loose i am loosing power, its hard to tell though, but i think i am. I finally got the chance to line my 700xx up against a Raptor 700 and KFX 700 yesterday. I got destroyed... I dont want to turn this into a debate as to what quad is faster, but lets just say i know i shouldnt have got beat as bad as i did, consistently. My valves were clickin and clanking like i said, so im wondering if i lost some power from them.

So why are my valves going so far out of spec so fast?! Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On another note, I just took my head cover off and the rocker arms are definitely taking some pretty bad wear. What would be causing this? The cam is covered in oil so it seems everything up top is getting oil to it. Whether or not it's the exact right amount of oil I don't know, but it's got oil all over it.

Are the ends of the rocker arms made of much harder metal, then once worn past that its get to weak metal and they wear really fast? That's my only guess. Need some help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
?? Why are my rocker arms wearing ends down about .4mm within 2 hours though? I have stock cam and stock rocker arms if that was meant to be a question though.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Years ago cams were case hardened, so once worn through the much softer steel would then wear out rapidly..
I have no idea if modern cams are the same though..

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
did you actually measure the rocker faces to verify they are wearing?

i havent seen many xx wear them out on stock stuff. If you do run to tight of valve lash it will eat them up quick though if there is no clearence room it basically will wipe all the oil off the cam and wear metal to metal so it doesnt take long once that happens its probably time to upgrade if you have to do rockers as well its not as painful to go to the better cam selections. you will still need to factor in springs with those as well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the offer DL700, but I already bought some or I probably would have taken up that offer. =/

I didn't measure them, but no measuring is really nessicarly, you can tell their very very worn just by looking at them. I asked the mechanic at the honda shop, he said once the main hard surface wears down, the rest of the metal is really weak and will wear down in no time, so I guess that makes sense then.

So I went ahead and ordered new rocker arms and a stage 2 hot cam. I'm really pumped to see how the new cam performs. Any word on how it will perform? Should my 700xx pull a lot harder now?

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Should have gone with stage three but it will be a noticeable difference. You'll also need a programmer too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the future reference, installing a new cam and rocker arms fixed it. Like I said, they must have been worn down past the point of a harder surface or something.

Anyway, the stage 2 rocks! I've already got a programmer and slip on exhuast and new air filter with no lid. Could I have installed a stage 3 if I wanted? It suggests you need some motor mods for it to run best.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
For the future reference, installing a new cam and rocker arms fixed it. Like I said, they must have been worn down past the point of a harder surface or something.

Anyway, the stage 2 rocks! I've already got a programmer and slip on exhuast and new air filter with no lid. Could I have installed a stage 3 if I wanted? It suggests you need some motor mods for it to run best.
i would of went with stg3 and ehs big 3! then when you get used that in a year or so go with the web 290 stiffer springs,hardened rockers . 11to 1 comp piston , a plus 2 quervo racing head and pcv 5 then you will be smokin!!!!:xx:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I still have the stock rockers with the ends that touch the cam that are worn down pretty bad. If you really want to buy them, just email me at robscherer123[at]gmail.com

Sometimes I forget to check this so that is better to reach me at.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well i had a ride out and engine sounded very rattly??
Did the valve clearances the next day and one of the screws needed 2.5 turns to get back into spec?? Very odd that they should suddenly be out..
Went out for a ride and within 10-15 minutes its rattling again..
Me thinks rocker arms/cam are worn through?
5500 miles on the clock !:steamed:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Holy fookin sh*t... partsforatvs.com.. $149.99
Uk price through a honda dealer for same hotcam $$ 388.79
Omg someone is making a right killing somewhere along the line..

Will have a look at the quad tomorrow and post my verdict.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Holy fookin sh*t... partsforatvs.com.. $149.99
Uk price through a honda dealer for same hotcam $$ 388.79
Omg someone is making a right killing somewhere along the line..

Will have a look at the quad tomorrow and post my verdict.
What are you lookin' to replace ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
hi baxter.. Guessing the cam, maybe the rocker arms..
Wont know until i have a look but its bloody freezing today and quad sort of outside so hoping it may be a bit warmer tomorrow?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I believe I'm experiencing this issue as well. After my rebuild I road aprox. 5 hrs. Then adjusted valves. They were not that far off. Went on a 60+ miles ride, and valves got extremely loud. Readjusted, and they were way open on the intake side. Took to the dyno shop, ran like 9 runs and quad got noisy after about the 5th run. Readjusted them again, they were not as bad as the time before but still over 0.20 on the intake side.

I have a spare cylinder head cover with rockers. Idk if the rockers in the spare are oem or not. Probably worth a try swapping them out. I called Web Camshafts, today. They explained how Honda uses what they call a flash chrome on the rockers. That once it wears through it goes fast, and that's why they recommend the hard welded rockers. @ $65 each with core! Plus she also recommended the HD spring set.

What kind of damage can happen if I'm riding and the valve lash increases. I'm worried about it getting loud, and being 30 miles from the truck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts