Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
5,877 Posts
I believe I'm experiencing this issue as well. After my rebuild I road aprox. 5 hrs. Then adjusted valves. They were not that far off. Went on a 60+ miles ride, and valves got extremely loud. Readjusted, and they were way open on the intake side. Took to the dyno shop, ran like 9 runs and quad got noisy after about the 5th run. Readjusted them again, they were not as bad as the time before but still over 0.20 on the intake side.

I have a spare cylinder head cover with rockers. Idk if the rockers in the spare are oem or not. Probably worth a try swapping them out. I called Web Camshafts, today. They explained how Honda uses what they call a flash chrome on the rockers. That once it wears through it goes fast, and that's why they recommend the hard welded rockers. @ $65 each with core! Plus she also recommended the HD spring set.

What kind of damage can happen if I'm riding and the valve lash increases. I'm worried about it getting loud, and being 30 miles from the truck.

·
Administrator
5,877 Posts
Any tips or tricks to remove the cylinder head cover? Apparently mines sealed pretty well, and I dont want to beat on it.

·
Administrator
5,877 Posts
It's pretty tight, and I think the builder used some sort of perma-bond. I can stick my thumbnail in a few spots in between the jug and the head, but not the case on the head cover. I give up on it for now. Only took 15 mins to get access, been a hour tapping on cover. Tried putty knife, regular utility knife, and small screwdriver.

·
Administrator
5,877 Posts
Okay I gave up on this for a couple hours. The wife goes out, looks at for all of 30secs. While I explain what needs separated. She then points out the sweet spot, and two taps later the cover opens up! Gotta love the wife. Anyway my intake rocker is toast.

·
Administrator
5,877 Posts
Cam looks okay to me, nothing visible. I'm temporarily installing the head cover, and rockers I purchased from drtrider awhile back. And then ship my rockers to web camshafts. Hopefully I can get a couple rides in, on the used rockers. Check the side view picture of the intake rocker. Intake side was toast, exhaust side okay, but still swapped em both out. And will send all 3 rockers off to be hard welded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts