Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
What happens is your quad stops !!
The clearances get more and more each mile until the valves are hardly opening, strangling the engine...
By what i experienced i would say 10 miles max from when its just down to soft steel.
Revs need to be kept high as mine got to the point where it was threatning to stall any lower than 2500 rpm.. chances of it restarting ??

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
Any tips or tricks to remove the cylinder head cover? Apparently mines sealed pretty well, and I dont want to beat on it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just pick on a part where there is an edge to gently tap it !
The gasket will make it stick down and its on location pins so needs a little persuasion to break the seal, then it comes off easy ..
It is only a cover so unlikely to bend something..

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
It's pretty tight, and I think the builder used some sort of perma-bond. I can stick my thumbnail in a few spots in between the jug and the head, but not the case on the head cover. I give up on it for now. Only took 15 mins to get access, been a hour tapping on cover. Tried putty knife, regular utility knife, and small screwdriver.

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
Okay I gave up on this for a couple hours. The wife goes out, looks at for all of 30secs. While I explain what needs separated. She then points out the sweet spot, and two taps later the cover opens up! Gotta love the wife. Anyway my intake rocker is toast.

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
Cam looks okay to me, nothing visible. I'm temporarily installing the head cover, and rockers I purchased from drtrider awhile back. And then ship my rockers to web camshafts. Hopefully I can get a couple rides in, on the used rockers. Check the side view picture of the intake rocker. Intake side was toast, exhaust side okay, but still swapped em both out. And will send all 3 rockers off to be hard welded.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts