Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

How many have checked your valves and found them out of adjustment?

• Have not checked your valves

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Checked them and they were fine

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Checked them and they needed adjusting

Votes: 8 19.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiousity? How many of you actually adjusted your valves after break in? And out of you that have, how many have found them to be out of adjustment when you checked? It was something I have been wondering about

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I got around 50 hours or so on mine. I've never checked the valves yet. Bike runs fine, but I'm gonna adjust them today when I put the cam in.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i had the dealer check them at the 20 hour mark ad then i adjusted them after 150 hours and the intake was a little loose not by much.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I checked mine and adjusted them after like the first three oil changes and since then they pretty much stay in check now

·
Registered
201 Posts
just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing...

valves tighten when they need adjustment. as the valve wears and the seat wears the valvestem moves UP in guide thus it is getting CLOSER to the rocker.

if your tolerence gets looser it means you need a new cam and/or rockers...

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Thanks for the info Scrawny. I just checked mine for the first time yesterday. Exhaust was spot on and the intake was too tight.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
When I first checked mine after break in the exhaust was 15 thousandths off it was sounding like a type writer but I adjusted em and they don't give me any problems now

·
Registered
175 Posts
just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing...

valves tighten when they need adjustment. as the valve wears and the seat wears the valvestem moves UP in guide thus it is getting CLOSER to the rocker.

if your tolerence gets looser it means you need a new cam and/or rockers...
The cam and rockers also wear witch could make them looser

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
first time i every checked mine was when i just rebuilt the engine and they were still fine close to 150hr on them no problems.

·
Registered
228 Posts
When I first checked mine after break in the exhaust was 15 thousandths off it was sounding like a type writer but I adjusted em and they don't give me any problems now
Totally off topic, but I did a feasibility study last year on how to get natural gas service to Rocky Mount via pipeline.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Totally off topic, but I did a feasibility study last year on how to get natural gas service to Rocky Mount via pipeline.
Oh that's cool that's probly the part of the reason we'll have natural gas running our tobacco barns which is a good thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts