Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about picking up a 5 gallon drum of some VP fuel but not too sure which one to try. I usually just run some 103 (or a 91/103 mix) that I get at my local Rebel station, I'm curious to see the difference. They have several different fuels listed for ATVs on their site. Looking for something that will boost performance but won't set me back too much.

I found a price sheet that is pretty scary. I could have sworn a 5 gallon drum at the local shop was more in the $40-45 range, not $60-80...

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The only fuel that will gain you any power would be the oxygenated. Its quiet pricey though. I use the u4.2 which is lightly leaded, oxygenated and 12$ gallon. If your bike is stock I wouldn't suggest wasting money on race gas though. A stock bike will have less to gain then a modded bike. Higher Octane's actually make less power when used where not needed. The only reason you would make gains with the u4.2 is if the motor is slightly choked up on the intake side and the oxygenated fuel helping it "breath"

·
Registered
115 Posts
never ran their fuel but I have a gas can and love it! I HATE those ventless pos cans that the govt' says are "safe"

·
Registered
505 Posts
A stock bike will have zero to gain and will actually lose power running anything other that 87 octane unless you are running higher compression. ie 12.5:1 and higher for any type of race fuel and maybe 91 if you are at 11:1 at sea level, higher octane fuels produce less energy at lower compression than regular 87....so you want to run the lowest octane you can without preignition for the most power.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
91 is borderline safe for 11:1

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
91 octane is what is recommended in the manual for a stock 700xx. Fuels with higher octane would actually produce less power in a stock 700xx. The higher compression, the higher the octane needs to be. Lower octane (87) is less stable under higher compression and would be subject to pre-detonation. Higher octane fuels are more stable at higher compressions, but also need that higher compression to work properly. Using any fuel outside of what your compression ratio needs is actually going to rob you of power.

roadkill

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts