Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last ride on the last trail. If it had to happen, it could not have been at a more perfect time. We were blasting some Whoop trails around the edges of Croom OHV area near Brooksville, and, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]when I got back to the trailer one of the guys says " Uh, Pearce, you got a hanger. " Ha ha... Never even knew it was there. :nuts:[/SIZE][/FONT]

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yup..... those two foot long branches will do it every time. Easy fix though. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
ewww! not good thats a spendy fix

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a broken tree about that size come up between the front right a-arm and get me in the leg yesterday. Was not nice.
Funny you mention that because I had something smack my ankle hard enough to almost knock my foot off my FatPeg and I immediately remembered how upset I was when I dropped 250 for riding boots. Never felt like I was going that fast, but after checking the GPS for max speed it was 53 mph. I know thats not so fast, but for me and my lack of experience, thats flying.

Either way, that stick may have been part of the same one that smacked my ankle and thanks to my $250.00 boots I am only crying about the quad busted up and not me. :yay:

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Funny you mention that because I had something smack my ankle hard enough to almost knock my foot off my FatPeg and I immediately remembered how upset I was when I dropped 250 for riding boots. Never felt like I was going that fast, but after checking the GPS for max speed it was 53 mph. I know thats not so fast, but for me and my lack of experience, thats flying.

Either way, that stick may have been part of the same one that smacked my ankle and thanks to my $250.00 boots I am only crying about the quad busted up and not me. :yay:
imagine the ankle had you not spent the money on boots! still think my boots an nerfs where a great investment for my body parts! :lol:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
How did you remove the shaft? I broke mine ( wheel side end) so now i dont understand how to remove the joint!!!!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
How did you remove the shaft? I broke mine ( wheel side end) so now i dont understand how to remove the joint!!!!

I've never changed one on a Honda, but i'll tell you how it works on a Can-Am (I think they're all like this).

1. Fight like crazy to get the hub off.
2. Grab the axle tightly.
3. Pull firmly and sharply.
4. Scratch your head in confusion, getting CV joint grease all over yourself and your beer can.
5. Brace your bike and your feet against the bike, then jerk back and forth like a madman. Eventually, the axle will pop out.
6. Sob softly about the bruised spot on your sternum where the axle nailed you when it finally let go.

See, on many of these bikes, there's a circlip on the end of the shaft that holds it into the diff. It's not easy to collapse this thing enough to actually pull the shaft out, but it seems like most people just push inward to make the clip collapse, then jerk quickly on it to try to get the axle out before the clip expands back out.

On my particular axle, I couldn't use any of these steps (these were the ones I followed on my buddy's Can-Am). I couldn't use them because my joint was shattered into 20 pieces, so I didn't have a way to grab the axle. I was able to use a claw hammer to pry the thing out, luckily (Can-Am has inboard brakes, which gave me a good pry point).

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
:funny:
I've never changed one on a Honda, but i'll tell you how it works on a Can-Am (I think they're all like this).

1. Fight like crazy to get the hub off.
2. Grab the axle tightly.
3. Pull firmly and sharply.
4. Scratch your head in confusion, getting CV joint grease all over yourself and your beer can.
5. Brace your bike and your feet against the bike, then jerk back and forth like a madman. Eventually, the axle will pop out.
6. Sob softly about the bruised spot on your sternum where the axle nailed you when it finally let go.

See, on many of these bikes, there's a circlip on the end of the shaft that holds it into the diff. It's not easy to collapse this thing enough to actually pull the shaft out, but it seems like most people just push inward to make the clip collapse, then jerk quickly on it to try to get the axle out before the clip expands back out.

On my particular axle, I couldn't use any of these steps (these were the ones I followed on my buddy's Can-Am). I couldn't use them because my joint was shattered into 20 pieces, so I didn't have a way to grab the axle. I was able to use a claw hammer to pry the thing out, luckily (Can-Am has inboard brakes, which gave me a good pry point).

Good luck!
:funny:

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Great!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
2 other question,

can i use brake cleaner to remove all grease in the joint???
and how much is a boots in US dealer, cause it 60$ cdn in canada!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts