Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I change the oil and filter and did intall the filter the proper way (O ring out) and noticed when I start the engine, I can hear a winding noise coming from the clutch casing, the one behind where the oil filter casing is and it goes away about 30 seconds or when I pull the clutch in then the sound is gone for good. I know that I used the clutch quite a bit on the last ride especially feathering it due to the logs and boulders but it doesn't slip or anything when I have it in gear and engage the clutch....weird!!! Did not noticed the sound prior of the oil change since I was not really paying attention, the only reason I did this time is because I was inspecting for leaks. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Joe, did you try running it for a bit before the oil change? If not, the possibly the oil drained out of the clutch housing, and it just needs to get back in there, even though I dont know why that would make a noise (pretty sure it wouldn't but just a thought). You check the bolts on the cover to ensure they are tight.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did warm up the engine prior of replacing the oil and torque the bolts, I'll start it again tonight and if issue persist might just take it in. How long is our warranty?
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Did you check the oil crankcase level after changing your oil? Maybe your oil screens are clogged up.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah! Did not think about the screens, will check it out this weekend. Oil Level is good.

Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I check the oil filter and is installed properly so I added some oil due to removing the filter and started the bike and the sound is still there so now I need to see if my warranty is still good. Pretty sure they'll blame the clutch for wear and tear but I'll try it anyway.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Good luck. Hope everything is OK.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, dropping off the bike tomorrow after work, warranty is valid till mid April so better take care of it now.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well brought it in to my dealer and they said that since it could be a worn clutch which is not covered under warranty then they would bill me for the labor/parts so I told them to shove it and if the clutch is worn out then I would replace it myself with an aftermarket clutch since the OEM is a POS. Never had a clutch wore out that fast.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Did you get to check your clutch yet? i wasnt implying that you have a bad clutch, just saying maybe something in there was rattling a little bit due to no lubrication. And if it is under warranty, I dont see why the shop wouldn't check it out, and let you know what it was, and if it was the clutch, you just tell them you'll do it yourself. But I would think they would check it out for it being under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah! They basically were pointing the finger at the clutch and at $75 per hour charge to determine which part is actually causing the issue; told them that I would take care of it myself, haven't taken it apart yet, waiting for the seal to come in.

How did you do at the race today? Heard Dagirl met her match (trees and mud) lol!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Oh I wasn't racing. I am doing the WNYOA series, VA is too far for me.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oop's! sorry was mis-informed

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the same noise coming from the clutch. We Purchased 2 new 2008's in April of this year. I just noticed on both from startup a noisy clutch. When the clutch lever is pulled in the noise stops, when it is let out the noise is there, both machines. I thought it was normal I guess because both of our machines make the same noise.

Any Ideas???

·
Registered
70 Posts
I noticed the same noise yesterday while riding. I'm curious to find out what it might be. Basically the engine noise changes with clutch engaged / disengaged. I only noticed it after adjusting the freeplay (less).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts