Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 700xx but I think the suspension feels sloppy and I want to upgrade. Let me know what you guys are running and if you don't mind what ya paid. I dot mind spending the money but I don't like feeling like I'm ripped off sonic ink ow what I should be paying I will feel better. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
You can pretty much spend as much as you want on shocks... anywhere from several thousand for a set of badass elka's to a hundered dollars or so for a set of ds450 front shocks. I just went with the ds450 shocks and am very pleased with the ds shocks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What terrain and how do you ride? Shocks should be an individual and subjective item. There is no "one size fits all" Even after buying new, you will require much time testing and adjusting to fit your needs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What terrain and how do you ride? Shocks should be an individual and subjective item. There is no "one size fits all" Even after buying new, you will require much time testing and adjusting to fit your needs.
and i have seen guys with both that must have been way far off in setup and my stockers worked better lol

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I have to agree... What shocks are "best" for one person may not be best for another. I happen to have Elka front and back because they fit MY needs for the terrain I ride and HOW I ride that terrain. Everything depends on what YOU need and can afford for the riding YOU do. You may also need more down the road as your riding advances or your needs change. Clear as mud right?

roadkill

BTW - Elka Stage 2+ front/Elka Stage 3 back (About $2,200.00 with shipping. Did that give you a heart attack?)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Folks, Elka and Fox Evolv's are about the best at the moment, I think these two company's are the only ones to get right into suspesion development for the 700xx. I have Evolv's upfront and I like them because of there unlimited adjustability and excellent performance not to mention the weight reduction.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Has anyone seen if PEP, Motowoz and Custom Axis makes shocks for the xx? Those are the absolute tops on other quads. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Folks, Elka and Fox Evolv's are about the best at the moment, I think these two company's are the only ones to get right into suspesion development for the 700xx. I have Evolv's upfront and I like them because of there unlimited adjustability and excellent performance not to mention the weight reduction.
PEP do shocks , To date the best performers you can buy , but have not tried the fox ones yet !
Also Overlord , diggin the signiture , ya bugger from down under ! :D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i would say fox or elka.. elka looks better built but them evolv have better control amd are just sexy...

i would do fox for front and elka rear

·
Registered
671 Posts
Has anyone seen if PEP, Motowoz and Custom Axis makes shocks for the xx? Those are the absolute tops on other quads. Just curious.
I speak to Jim over at Motowoz quite a bit. (He is currently building a set of shocks for one of my 450R's.) He will be building shocks for my 700XX with Teixeira Tech front and rear a-arms, Ed is still figuring out the rear suspension, so no shock specs yet. Once Ed gets Jim all the info, Jim will start building.

As far as stock replacement shocks, not sure if Jim has any plans to make anything. Last I spoke to him about stock replacement shocks, (this was months ago.) he said he has seen no real interest in them. I think the fronts would be easy, rears would be a little work. The upper rear mount has to get figured out anyway since he has to build shocks for me, it would be the lower clevis that is the problem. He does not have a clevis already made that will work with the 700XX, so that means he has to custom make them. If he does make them and no one orders anything, he is then stuck with them. If there was enough interest, I am sure he would have no problem making stock replacement shocks, he just hasn't seen any interest.

As far as the original questions, I agree with others, "best" is different for everyone. Really need more info on what you plan on doing. Racing, agressive trail riding, dunes, just cruising, etc. Looking at a budget setup or going all out? To many variables to say what would be "best" for you.

Doug

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
When i asked the same question this is the response you gave me Doug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost addict
I am so torn between the stage 3 Elka and the float x evol's. The Elka's being more plug and play, 48 hrs left to decide lol.

Based on my experience, I would go with Fox. I have run Elka’s in the past, while they are a good shock, there setup leaves a little to be desired. I have seen great improvements in handling after I had my Elka’s revalved/resprung. I felt the Evol’s I had were better out of the box then the Elka’s were out of the box.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
When i asked the same question this is the response you gave me Doug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost addict
I am so torn between the stage 3 Elka and the float x evol's. The Elka's being more plug and play, 48 hrs left to decide lol.

Based on my experience, I would go with Fox. I have run Elka’s in the past, while they are a good shock, there setup leaves a little to be desired. I have seen great improvements in handling after I had my Elka’s revalved/resprung. I felt the Evol’s I had were better out of the box then the Elka’s were out of the box.

I have also had to have my Elka's resprung/revalved and basically called it a day on the Elka's. They were not quite upto it.
Most people want "Buy in a box" and the Fox shocks worked better outta the box. If you want better , then you look for better. I would say Doug has found better with a company that give him the personal touch that works for him. There is a big differance .
Just my 2 pennies worth. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thanks guys for the suggestions. I do mainly trail riding, some is rocky and mainly ride pretty fast. i havent had the xx to the dunes yet only rode there once though when i had my yfz450 and i would like to do somemore now. But it seems as though the fox sound like the shock of choice. Where did you guys get them from so i can look them up. Websites?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Man talk to Ed at Teixeira or you can try Mike at ATV Galaxy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright great man thanks im prob gonna hold of till spring to get them and break the quad in a little more this winter but i really appreciate all the feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I haven't received my shocks yet. So i cant comment. Ordered on september 30th and still waiting...
But i like the fox shox the best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts