Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a thread about daily tinkering and wrenching.

I have a had a couple squeaks and creaks that were annoying me. Isolated them out to be the rear oem sway bar and the upper steering shaft pivot point. Removed the rear sway bar brackets and pulled off the rubber grommets. Cleaned grommet and sway bar then regreased grommet with marine grade grease. Then reassembled. Next I removed the upper fender plastic and pulled out the two bolts holding the stem clamp. Slid the rubber grommet up and removed. Again a thorough cleaning of all surfaces and then greased with marine grade. Reassembled and wiped up any excess grease. Reinstalled fender top. Both jobs were extremely easy and cured my squeaks. Its so smooth and quiet now!

I could of went the super lazy route and just used some spay lube while wiggling the parts, but this will last much longer.
:rock:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did my 10hr service today, changed the oil, cleaned the air filter and generally went over the whole bike to check that everything was tight etc...

Also I put on my ASV F3 clutch lever & perch and well as my ASV brake lever.
I bypassed the clutch safety switch with a small jumper wire.

I also removed the e-brake and put on an Alba block off plate.

While I had the bike apart I also did the reverse rev limiter bypass.

I think I should be in good shape for my next ride.
:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
i had a few squeakes traced them down to being the front shocks put a lil grease on them jumped up and down on it a few times now no more sqeakes

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I rolled mine out of the way, and made room for the 2006 Polaris Phoenix 200, I got for my daughter to ride. She's 14 and was kinda to big for the little 90cc sportsman. Then I rolled the Honda back in place. It's ready for next ride this weekend in W. Va. I need a battery, filter and oil change on the 200 Phoenix thou, asap.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
My race was cancelled ,so I basically stripped 700xx to the bare frame . Put the engine on the bench and will work on it tomorrow and figure why , I lost another 4th gear. Luckily the gearbox lasted 12 hours this time. Next race is an 8 hour enduro. :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
I installed the Honda Racing nerf bars today in preparation for my first ride on the 700xx this weekend.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Was out in the garage for a few hours today, didn't even touch one 700XX, and only touched the other to push it forward about two feet for a little more work space.

My focus for the weekend was to work on my one 450R that is in parts all over my garage. Got alot done, just need the frame back from my powder coater so I can start reassembly.

Doug

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
My race was cancelled ,so I basically stripped 700xx to the bare frame . Put the engine on the bench and will work on it tomorrow and figure why , I lost another 4th gear. Luckily the gearbox lasted 12 hours this time. Next race is an 8 hour enduro. :D
hey brit it sounds like your hell on trannys and clutches, you need to let yoshimira go through all your bottom end and do there magic or pro circuit!:xx:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Painted my axle shafts today. They were quite ugly. Rust was taking over. Made a huge improvement.
You can see my homade quick lift. It works front or rear on any quad.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Painted my axle shafts today. They were quite ugly. Rust was taking over. Made a huge improvement.
You can see my homade quick lift. It works front or rear on any quad.
Hope you used good paint, lol. And from the looks of it you need some new rear tires! And the most important thing I noticed by your pictures, is you still have the rear mud scrappers on! You may want to remove them or risk loosing a rim. User's have found if you get a small rock stuck in there, it's almost like a metal lathe cutting your rim.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No just some cheap paint. I know it won't last forever. Will redo it again when needed. I do need new tires, but may wear those down a little more. As for the scrapers I will pull them off. I don't ride much mud anyway. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
192 Posts
No just some cheap paint. I know it won't last forever. Will redo it again when needed. I do need new tires, but may wear those down a little more. As for the scrapers I will pull them off. I don't ride much mud anyway. Thanks for the tip!
Those tires still have plenty of life left in them. I love stock tires.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Depending on how crazy I go with my winter build, mine may look like that too. If I can find a stroker crank it will be a definite. Thats a good idea to set it on blocks with a drain pan below. Its shocking how much oil is still in these after a full drain.
Must be your first time huh? lol

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Stroker crank is or will be a custom build. The xx uses a very short rod compared the XR650r. Probably one of the shortest rods known to man.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
i am trying to diagnose why mine wont bust off as quick as it did with less than 100 hrs on it. it has 300hrs on it now,and never had a valve check for cleareance, imagine its about time ,maybe new rings too, and inspect the head.gonna do compression check and check valves first i guess.i cant complain with 300hrs and needing maybe a little top end work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
tbird88 I would really look at your valves and valve seats as well as checking your cylinder to make sure it is not worn out, these things can make the bike loss power very easily. I work on cars for a living and I know that in racing applications valves can take alot of abuse and not seat correctly or start to pull into the seat not allowing them to seal and allow compression to be lost. Also be sure to check the valve clearance before you disassemble it, it may give you some indications of your problem before you do your disassembly. If your valve clearance is tight then the valves may be pulled into the seats. If they are lose then you could have valve tip wear or rocker arm wear. Good diagnosis before disassembly always makes things easier then hoping after your reassembly that everything is going to work.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
tbird88 I would really look at your valves and valve seats as well as checking your cylinder to make sure it is not worn out, these things can make the bike loss power very easily. I work on cars for a living and I know that in racing applications valves can take alot of abuse and not seat correctly or start to pull into the seat not allowing them to seal and allow compression to be lost. Also be sure to check the valve clearance before you disassemble it, it may give you some indications of your problem before you do your disassembly. If your valve clearance is tight then the valves may be pulled into the seats. If they are lose then you could have valve tip wear or rocker arm wear. Good diagnosis before disassembly always makes things easier then hoping after your reassembly that everything is going to work.
ba i appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just tried a spray wax on my plastics. Used Meguires Ultimate Spray Wax. Bottle says it can be applied to paint, plastics, headlights etc. It went on easy and looks good, but gave the plastics a static charge. Won't use it again. Makes your hair stand up. Not a good idea in dusty conditions.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Made a PVC tube tool box today. Anyone else do this? I made a 2" x 12" then decided I wanted bigger, so made a 3" x 12". Just gonna wire tie it on under the rear grab bar. There is a natural curve there for it to nestle. Will get some pics up in a moment.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.