Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help everyone!
What is the best set up to buy for the sand dunes for a flag and pole?
What is the minumum hieght?
Do I need a spring at the bottom of the mount?
Can I buy it online?

Going to Silver lake sand dunes in April and I don't want to buy some 1 day piece of crap set up. Can I get some recomindations?
:xx:

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea! I looked online and some of the reviews said the poles and flags were junk and did not last long. That's why I posted to see if I can get one before I get there.
I don't mind paying for quality. Thanks Scuzz no RM flag for me.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
What scuzz said. They sell them there and they are nice. No spring for the bottom as the weight of this big flag would take a massive spring to hold it up

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just purchased numerous some-what cheap ones. I end up breaking them frequently by either rolling or accidently shearing them off while getting my quad unstuck, and once they are too short I just put another one on

Make sure to get a quick-release holder for it or you will regret it the first time you break it

·
Registered
190 Posts
you can buy them at duneland... the shop right next to silver lake. I broke my flag mount off my bar within an hour. It ripped the weld right off.. Ive a bracket to rig it if that happens.. Were going up sat. morning on april 2nd and stayin in Hart at a hotel sat. night and driving home sunday. Maybe a sunday morning ride.... You gonna be there when we are?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I broke my flag mount off my bar within an hour. It ripped the weld right off..

Same thing happened to me. I had a nice metal whip flag pole and now its lost in the sand somewhere, or on whoever found its bike. Had a friend weld a new mount on, and now I just run the thin cheap fiber glass polls until they break and then I replace them. I never roll my quad, so they tend to last a long time, but they tend to break from hitting tree branches and from the wind over time.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
trx700,
I purchase my flag at the local motorcycle/quad shop. I also purchased a quick release flag mount. It is really great in that you can remove the flag for storage or while transporting the machine. They cost about $20.00. It is well made with a collet type holding fixture and finished in several finishes (clear black or gold anodize billet aluminum). (Caution: Make sure the flag you purchase is the correct diameter for the holding fixture) There are several diameters of flags. The longer ones have a larger diameter and recommended for the dunes. They will take a real beating (fiberglass). If a spring mount is used you may get "frapped" on the head when riding aggressively.
(Note: A quick release flag mount will bolt right in on the hole provided on the grab bar)
Good Luck
Sid

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have never seen a quick release mount for dune flags. Remember he is looking for a DUNE flag not just any flag. There is a big difference.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks eveyone. I guess I will wait until I get there.
yuseall4? I plan on going and riding with chuck.
I am going to invest in the quick release.
I hope it warms up by then. I will be riding on kenda kutters.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a quick release mount for the thicker pole. its made by modquad. and its for a oregon dunes required flag.

I have never seen a quick release mount for dune flags. Remember he is looking for a DUNE flag not just any flag. There is a big difference.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I checked mod quads website and the biggest they had was 5/16 which isn't big enough. Same as that tusk one that won't work for dune flags. Maybe they discontinued it :(

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Flag. All vehicles must display a highly visible red or orange
flag when operating on sand. The flag must:
• Be displayed at least nine feet from the ground; and
• Be at least eight inches wide and at least twelve inches
long.

there is no requirement on the width of the flag poll. almost all my friends that I ride with use a thin poll with a quick release. thin poll hurts less if it whips u.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
trx700,
I contacted the local motorcycle/quad shop to get a part number for the Quick Release flag mount. They said it is manufactured for Advantage Performance and the web site is only for dealers. I have included a picture of the one on my machine (Sorry it isn't a clear view of the mount.) I hope you will get the idea anyway. It is so easy to use and durable as can be.
Good Luck.
Sid
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I wasn't saying the flag had to be a certain size. Also in Michigan the flags have to be 10' where he will be going. Also the flags he is talking about buying there is thicker and will not fit in any quick release I have seen. I was just pointing that out

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I think flags are kinda silly in the first place. I think they are just for insurance reasons or money makers for the parks. The only time I could see it being useful is if you are sitting just over the peak of a hill (not supposed to be sitting there in the first place). Otherwise if you are climbing the hill the flag is angled just like your bike and doesn't sit that high. I have never been in a situation where I said damn thank god either him or I had a flag. Sorry just venting about the stupid flags

1 - 20 of 20 Posts