Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this noise in my first engine. It caused me to take it in and ask the dealer what it was. They said i needed a new engine. It ran fine but they'd already torn it down so this time, i'm asking you guys. This is the "new" engine. This engine probably has a total of 50 hours on it. Maybe. WTF IS THIS NOISE!?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eornhA7jJZs

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the engine's way of telling you that you ride like a girl. ;)
I'm pretty sure its the engines way of telling me, she'd rather be ridden like a girl instead!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
It almost sounded like an exhaust leak, that's a pretty loud noise too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you ended up with the same noise in the new engine then it probably was never the engine at all and the dealership just wanted money. It sounds exhaust related to me but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
There is a copper crush gasket in between the header pipe and the exhaust port of the head. It sounds like it's missing or they used the old one. It should be replaced ever time you take the exhaust off the XX. I would check that first, it cost 5.00$

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
There is a copper crush gasket in between the header pipe and the exhaust port of the head. It sounds like it's missing or they used the old one. It should be replaced ever time you take the exhaust off the XX. I would check that first, it cost 5.00$
I am with Jody on this one, thats what I would check first.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
ive reused the crush gasket a couple of times with no leaks check your bolts to see if there torqued right and check where muffler slips on to header the noise seemed to quit when you revved it up a little i think its something else than the exhaust ive been around a bunch of different xxs and never heard anything like that come from any of them

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
you need to shut it off and check the valve springs granted it could be a rattle or a exhaust gasket but sometimes they can sounds like than when a valve is making contact with a piston if you break a valve you will need a new motor or some major work at this time if its just tapping with a weak spring you just have to fix a cheap spring maybe a valve.

more than likely its a rattle or exhaust leak but you need to check its the difference between a $100 repair bill and a $2000 repair bill when the make funny sounds dont rev them up to see if they go away that is baddddddd

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
DDONT RUN IT!!!!!!!!!! thats what mine sounded like befor the it droped the valves and blew a hole in my piston!!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
you need to shut it off and check the valve springs granted it could be a rattle or a exhaust gasket but sometimes they can sounds like than when a valve is making contact with a piston if you break a valve you will need a new motor or some major work at this time if its just tapping with a weak spring you just have to fix a cheap spring maybe a valve.
yep needed a new piston, jug, and rebuilt head.. ohh the the joy of cleaning out you crank case:disgust:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Headed to the shop today for a few things:
  • Fix that noise.
  • Wrap my header pipe.
  • Finish designing that UHMW Skid plate i promised you guys 10 months ago lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
i'm about 97% sure its your valves and valve springs!...unlesss you are dealing with a really shitty dealership who is just ripping you off so they get more business?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. Well the shop said its NOT that copper crush sleeve.

Any chance the cam chain could be stretched?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
dude i reused my crush gasket 3 times with no leaks your dealer should be able to figure it out it may be the cam chain tensioner and cam chain., simply orange had that problem , thats a common prob on 400ex but so far my 700xx chain and tensioner and rings still good after 300 hrs knock on wood!!:xx:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New cam tensioner... no change. I'm thinking its the decompression thingy right now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Showed your VID to my buddy who runs an ATV repair business.... He said make sure your oil filter isn't in backwards cutting off oil flow to the top end..... Sounds silly I know but he says it happens more than you think. If that's the case let me be the first to say.....SORRY!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts