Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Specific places... not "the mountains" or "the desert"...

I'll start. My favorite place to ride is Pismo... OK, I know that is not it's "official" name... it's "Oceano Dunes SVRA"
Located along the central California coast on the beach at Oceano, CA. (naturally). SVRA stands for "State Vehicle Recreation Area" and is run by the state department of parks and recreation and is a large area of beach and beach dunes. These dunes are some of the best and largest on the west coast and thousands of quads and other sand beasts gather there every weekend. During the summer months, the place can get quite crowded and takes on a party feel at night... like spring break every weekend. Night riding is allowed in the dunes however, you should have a lighted flag, although it's not required. All sand is NOT the same and all dunes are NOT the same. Pismo has a rather fine grain. This helps form the ever changing dunes. The shapes of the dunes change every time the wind blows. The dunes are soft and easily moved by the wind. The fine grain also helps the sand pack down on the beach section where you drive down to stage.
You drive your hauler on the beach down to the staging areas.... miles of beach staging... lined with toy haulers, trucks and RVs. Usually the beach is packed good enough (firm enough) for just about any vehicle to drive down with no problems, but is not always the case. Many people stage right on the beach area where the sand is firmer and others turn into the dunes and stage right in the dunes. Now that requires aired down 4wd and experience. It is quite easy to get stuck in the soft deep sand if you don't know what you're doing... even if you do, you can still get stuck. Like most dune areas, the dunes are steeper on the side away from the wind. Many accidents are caused by people going up one side of a dune, going over the crest and then finding out the the other side drops away... sharp. Other accidents are caused when you don't have spotters at the top of the dune when you are going up and flying the top... you can collide with someone coming up the other side... ouch.
Bottom line for Oceano Dunes... just plain FUN!
Here's 2 links for more information...

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_06222/ride_e841.htm

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1207

OK, now it's your turn.

roadkill

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's a pretty tough question... My all-time favorite would have to be Coral Pink Sand Dunes. Great dunes, awesome trials, perfect weather. About a four hour drive for me, though. Logandale Trails is probably my favorite weekend getaway for desert riding, only an hour or so drive.

Wheeler Pass would be my favorite for mountain riding. Wheeler Pass

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
That's a pretty tough question... My all-time favorite would have to be Coral Pink Sand Dunes. Great dunes, awesome trials, perfect weather. About a four hour drive for me, though. Logandale Trails is probably my favorite weekend getaway for desert riding, only an hour or so drive.

Wheeler Pass would be my favorite for mountain riding. Wheeler Pass
Coral Pink is very nice but is run by BLM which they can be very strict at that place, now Little Sahara in UT is also very nice riding area, they have trails but mostly Sand Dunes which is also run by BLM but aren't as hard with the rules as Coral Pink. Also like the Paiute Trail system.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's true. BLM had like 3/4 of it shut down at one point because of some endangered beetle.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
In the northwest you cant beat Morrow County OHV park in eastern Oregon/Umatilla National Forest and the Winom/Frazier district. The XX was built for these 2 places! I just got back from a 3 day trip out there and it was friggin' awesome! High 50's with nice slightly damp trails. We took a 27 mile loop..almost ALL trails, hardly any roads on Saturday, and a 25 mile loop yesterday morning.
I almost ate it BIG time on this whooped out trail...was going about 35-40 mph and the ass end started swapping on me, then she started to come around on me, then it started swapping left to right off of each bounce about 5-6 times....it would have been ugly, but she just straightened out. It was 5 minutes into our first ride on Friday afternoon. Needless to say, I felt like a caged animal that just got loose since it had been 4 months since I had rode. I slowed down a bit after that...and picked the seat out of my clenched ass! Definitely scared the sh!t out of me.

Here's a link to the Morrow County website:

http://www.morrowcountyparks.org/ohvpark.asp

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Lilttle sahara in Wynoka, OK

considering a spring trip to Red river motorcycle trails though...............?
that is the best place in that i know of to ride it. You'll love it. Let me know, and i'll meet ya there!

·
Registered
142 Posts
5W0P3: Looks like April 3rdish, but it depends on the rest of my riding buddies and my wife. See, April 3rd is my B-day, so I'm going riding one way or another. My wife isn't into the outdoor thing quite so much, but I'm trying to talk her into trying the 4wheeler. Got a friend that'll let us borrow a polaris scrambler, so she doesn't have to mess with shifting. April 3rd is also opening weekend for the north shore riding area at quartz mtn lake (20 minute ride from here.) So all my buddies are gonna want to be at the lake, my wife is talking about going to try it out that weekend. Aside from I'd rather take her somewhere I know, I really don't want to get out there and her not have fun, now I'm 2 1/2 hours from home in god's playground with a 700xx and an angry wife.........., but that weekend will likely be the best chance I will have to get away for the whole weekend, so I'm not sure what'll happen yet.............

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like Royal Blue WMA, Brimstone, and Windrock. All are located in east TN. We're headed to Brimstone for New Years.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Paiute Trail is probably the best place I have ever been, spent a few days up there years ago and had a blast. Coral Pink was cool also, only been there once, really want to go back to check it out more.

Locally here in Vegas, I would have to say Jean dry lake area. There is so many trails out there. I used to like Logandale, but they closed the best parts of it. Still cool to go to, but I really enjoyed the portions they closed.

Doug

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I second the Hatfield McCoy trails, been there a half dozen times and the place keeps changing for the better. It is a 9 hour ride for us but well worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
2010 Projected riding area will be Jackman ME, Royal Blue TN and Silver Lake MI so we are ready to enjoy next year. Now I did post a group ride for next year but as you can see we are already pretty book up for the year, perhaps we could meet some of you guys at either Royal Blue or Silver Lake. As for when and which one first, you would need to ask DaGirl71 since she's our travel planner:yay:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Give me notice when you get ready to go to Royal Blue. I've been riding it now for about 5 years and still havent covered half of it. Its huge!

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
DaGirl71 is talking around May but I tend to wonder if the trails are going to be ready due to snow melting? What do you think?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Royal Blue, Brimstone, and Windrock are open rain or shine 24/7/365. We welcome snow because we hardly ever get to see it!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Windrock is awesome...

hey scuzz, have you tried any of the other atv parks by sandhill atv? i saw some other signs on the same road.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts