Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to start a war,.....just want what your running, and filter brand and interval.......

thanks Guys.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Klotz MX4 10w-40, K&N oil filter, change every 10hrs.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Silkolene semi-synthetic Comp 4 sx 10w40 , Hiflo filtro filter , changed every 3 hours. Kinda extreme but oil is cheaper than metal.:D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Motul 5100 10w40 (I think) and PC racing Flo reusable filter.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Honda oil and just a paper filter from them. and change it depending on how hard I ride, 8-20 hours.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Honda synthetic with K&N oil Filter. I'm not very good with keeping up on hours so I usually just change it every other month or so. I check it frequently and will change it if I notice its starting to get dark also.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Honda oil and filters and change them every couple of rides. Had the bike since the beginning of December and have changed the oil five or six times.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Changing the oil too often is almost as bad as not often enough. Each time you drain it it has to reprime through the engine on start up. 10hrs is the about as often as you would want. If I changed my oil every 3 hours I would have to change it every time I ride, thats alot of time for the engine to be without oil pressure until it reprimed.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It makes sense. When I ride I try to make a day of it so the bike is moving for about five or six hours a ride. I tend to ride one or two times a week when its nice out, and I change it every couple of rides, so that would be an average of about ten to twenty hours every oil change.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i use honda oils and filters. i go by the book i chaged my oil at the first 20hours, and im gona change it when i hit 100hours.... there is no need to change every ever ride or 10 hours like some ppl do its just a waste of time, $$$, and oil... ive ran my old honda recon over 250hours without changing the oil and it sill runs like new.... i may put the k&n oil filter on when i hit 100hours so i can reuse it...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Agree with Bo, I change mine about every 20-30 hrs of riding or when it is looking too chocolaty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is everyone running 10w-40? My owners manual says 10w-30 and thats what I run. I run Honda brand oil and filters

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
i use honda oils and filters. i go by the book i chaged my oil at the first 20hours, and im gona change it when i hit 100hours.... there is no need to change every ever ride or 10 hours like some ppl do its just a waste of time, $$$, and oil... ive ran my old honda recon over 250hours without changing the oil and it sill runs like new.... i may put the k&n oil filter on when i hit 100hours so i can reuse it...
Your recon also wasn't a high performance engine. And you probably werent using it all the time in the higher RPMs, and it has a completely different drive on it (automatic clutch instead of manual). I am sure you rode it hard, but the 700 is a different beast all in its own. It depends on what kind of riding you are doing. I thought I'd wait to 50 hours cuz the book said 100, but at 30 hours I took an oil sample and sent it off and it was pretty bad. So I change it a lot more often. it is cheap, easy, and better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I change my oil after about 16 hours of riding, or two rides @ 8 hours = 16 hours.
heh, "Mr. Enduro Racer" here. im wore out after about 4 hours

oh, 10w40 usually Castrol, and honda paper filter, every 20 or so hrs... been doing this for years and never lost a Honda engine.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Is everyone running 10w-40? My owners manual says 10w-30 and thats what I run. I run Honda brand oil and filters
The shop manual list both of them, Your seasonal temps is the deciding factor.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Your recon also wasn't a high performance engine. And you probably werent using it all the time in the higher RPMs, and it has a completely different drive on it (automatic clutch instead of manual). I am sure you rode it hard, but the 700 is a different beast all in its own. It depends on what kind of riding you are doing. I thought I'd wait to 50 hours cuz the book said 100, but at 30 hours I took an oil sample and sent it off and it was pretty bad. So I change it a lot more often. it is cheap, easy, and better safe than sorry.
ur right bout the recon its not a high power engine but most of its life is high rpm's:hey:.... the only reson i would change the oil on xx be4 100hours is if the oil gets to dark.... but i gota say the xx is good on oil it dosnt age it in 40hours like the raptor dose........ :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
ur right bout the recon its not a high power engine but most of its life is high rpm's:hey:.... the only reson i would change the oil on xx be4 100hours is if the oil gets to dark.... but i gota say the xx is good on oil it dosnt age it in 40hours like the raptor dose........ :D
Do you have any UOA's that show that? if you sampled your oil I bet you would think differently...the oil does not know what make of bike it is in and the color of the oil means absolutely nothing other than the fact that the detergent addiditive is working.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts