Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what type of oil people are using for the 700. I just bought mine and want to do an oil change soon. I had a Raptor 660 before and used Mobil 1 synthetic oil (non-energy conserving) 15w-50 because of the wet clutch.

I'm assuming the 700 has a wet clutch, correct? I saw a Mobil 1 10w-40 synthetic 4-stroke oil specifically designed for wet clutches. I might try that.

Anything else people use?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use Honda GN4 oil (10w 30) I've used the Honda GN4 oil in everything I've ever had with a wet clutch, and never had a problem with it. It exceeds the manufacturer's requirements for any bike or atv out there, and costs way less than the synthetics.

Truth is any oil with the right API rating will work just fine. Just check the label and pick your flavor. (Mobil 1 synthetic exceeds manufacture's requirements too.)

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
A lot of people use GN4. I do myself. And yes, the XX has a wet clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I recently installed a Matlock Racing clutch and was told by him not to use synthetic, Sucks as I just changed it. Anyone running Honda synthetic on there XX?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ran it in my 400ex,It might of been synthetic blend? It was Honda oil did'nt have any problems with it other than price. So I changed to Shell Rotella .I change it every 2 or 3 rides so its cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
No, HP4 is the conventional.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I recently installed a Matlock Racing clutch and was told by him not to use synthetic, Sucks as I just changed it. Anyone running Honda synthetic on there XX?
I run the Honda synthetic oil in my xx.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Regular GN4 for me and a Honda oil filter as well

·
Registered
239 Posts
I run honda's HP4S full sythetic with out moly additives. 5w30 for cold weather and 10w30 for warm weather and races. I have also used torq full sythetic 20w-30(didn't like) and ams oil full sythetic 10w40.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm running Valvoline's ATV branded oil. You can find it at any Oreilly's for a decent price, pretty good stuff

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I use Honda GN4. I don't leave it in long enough to see a benefit from synthetic. Plus GN4 is kinda high for Dino oil. I imagine the synthetics are even more?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
i use gn4 too its 5.00 a quart and it isnt even synthetic!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
20w50 oils are to heavy in my opinion especially when cold i like amsoil 0-40w its good stuff

from dyno testing you gain almost 2hp from 20w50 to 0w40 on 60hp motors plus it dont sludge up your cases like the heavy stuff

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just got my XX, and it has about 10 hours of break-in on it. I'm changing to Amsoil now. The Honda stuff costs more, so I'm going with what I know.

Mav

·
Registered
39 Posts
I run honda's HP4S full sythetic with out moly additives. 5w30 for cold weather and 10w30 for warm weather and races.

x2 on the HP4S. that's all i've ran since i got mine and seems to be doing really well. i run 10w30 all the time though

1 - 20 of 41 Posts