Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To pre-face, I'm still somewhat new to quads in general and have never raced before. I don't plan to 'win' I just want to get to the finish in 1 or two pieces :lmao: And I'm not even sure if its considered a race, more an 'event'

The event I want to go to is the 'Hangover Scramble' in Washougal OR. I watched some vids of it, and it looks awesome. Insanely muddy kind of awesome.

I was thinking of getting new dirt/mud tires anyways and was wondering what do you guys think for this? And would (could?) you put them on the stock Rims or would it have to be new ones?

And just my initial thoughts, the two I liked were Maxxis Razr2 Front/Rear (23" Front, 22" Rear) OR the ITP Mudlites (only 22" front /20" rear I think)

The mudlites say "Front: 22x7-10 (6 ply); Rear: 20x11-9 (6 ply)."
Razr2's list "AT23x7-10 Front, AT22X11-10"

Do those fit stock rims if I'm on a budget?

Thanks for any opinions

Links for those interested:
http://jctra.org/
http://jctra.org/grant2007/2011 HOS Flier PDF.pdf
Most of the vids suck but there are some decent ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQrN_we--Ew

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts

The mudlites say "Front: 22x7-10 (6 ply); Rear: 20x11-9 (6 ply)."
Razr2's list "AT23x7-10 Front, AT22X11-10"

Do those fit stock rims if I'm on a budget?

Thanks for any opinions
The mudlites would only fit your stock front rims... the mudlites for the rear are only 9" (rim size) and stock rims are 11"... not gonna work. A 9" rim won't work with our IRS.

Razr2's would only fit stock front rims. You'd need new 10" rims to be able to use Razr2's in the rear. New 10" rims for the back would be a different offset and make it 2" wider in back.

If you want to use stock rims... All I can suggest is Razr2 for the front in 21, 22, or 23" diameter (your choice)... With Razr (M932) part #TM00208100 size 22x10x11 for stock rear rims.

roadkill

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
oh noo!!!!.... brings back muddy memories!... for something like this, I'd fit some utv tires... i've seen it done before... AND, get yourself a 13T sprocket, because you'll need the extra torque!!!

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
oh noo!!!!.... brings back muddy memories!... for something like this, I'd fit some utv tires... i've seen it done before... AND, get yourself a 13T sprocket, because you'll need the extra torque!!!

utv tires and rims for one event?
That looks like hella fun... Oregon is not too far for me... hmmm.

roadkill

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
utv tires and rims for one event?
That looks like hella fun... Oregon is not too far for me... hmmm
Actually I had that wrong its on the other side of the river. So its Washington. Heres google maps of it if you want. And it just donned on me, its called the Hangover Scramble cause its on new years :lmao: Ahaha... I'm a quick one

Thanks for the info on the wheels/tires. Anything wrong with buying new rear rims and keeping the fronts then? Seems like the fronts are a common (easy to find tires) size and rears are the odd ones :disgust:

As for the tires themselves, if you were buying for just that event would you get mudlites or razr2's or some other tire?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Actually I had that wrong its on the other side of the river. So its Washington. Heres google maps of it if you want. And it just donned on me, its called the Hangover Scramble cause its on new years :lmao: Ahaha... I'm a quick one
I know... Got me curious and looked it up.

Thanks for the info on the wheels/tires. Anything wrong with buying new rear rims and keeping the fronts then? Seems like the fronts are a common (easy to find tires) size and rears are the odd ones :disgust:
Nothing wrong with that idea at all.

As for the tires themselves, if you were buying for just that event would you get mudlites or razr2's or some other tire?
If that's your choices... The mudlites won't work for the back because they're only 9" rim size and a 9" rim will not fit our quad.
The Razr2 would work front and back... with new 10" rims for the rear. ITP T9 pro with 4:3 offset and 4/144 lug pattern... Stock offset is 5:2... so the 4:3 offset would be 2" wider in back. You'd also have to remove your mud scrapers in back to use ANY 10" rim... easy and quick to do.
I am partial to the Maxxis tires myself and the Razr2 setup you mentioned has the added advantage of being a good setup for riding trails and not just this one event.

roadkill

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

If that's your choices... The mudlites won't work for the back because they're only 9" rim size and a 9" rim will not fit our quad.
The Razr2 would work front and back... with new 10" rims for the rear. ITP T9 pro with 4:3 offset and 4/144 lug pattern... Stock offset is 5:2... so the 4:3 offset would be 2" wider in back. You'd also have to remove your mud scrapers in back to use ANY 10" rim... easy and quick to do.

Ya I already did that for my sand tires (Which are 10")

I am partial to the Maxxis tires myself and the Razr2 setup you mentioned has the added advantage of being a good setup for riding trails and not just this one event.

roadkill
Thats a good point, I think I'll look into those then. Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know my cousin has mudlites with ITP wheels on his XX. Might wanna look on rockymountain.com to see what tire/wheel combos they have.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Mudlites or Kenda Bear Claws. Both are for the 11" rim. Check out mudthrowers.com The Bear Claws will be cheaper I think. I had the 24" in the rear and still have the 23" bearclaws in the front. Good tough tire. Grabs very well! Too well for my riding style thats the only reason I made the switch. I am going to put them back on my 11" rims either when my razrs wear down and I get 10" rim and razrs or I can find a cheap set of 11" rear rims

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I would run 23x7x10 Kenda klaw xcf and 23x8x11 Kenda BearKlaws on the stock rear rims. That way you could keep the scraper in the rear . Depending on how long the race is , maybe drop down to a 12t sprocket. This type of racing is hard on ya clutch and I feel the 12t will be easier on it. I know from races like this , that sometimes you find yourself always in too high a gear and thats when the clutch goes.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Just my opinions: I would drop down to a 13 tooth front. Run an open tread knobby, like an all trak, razr2, or a viper. 22" is as big as I would go to keep up your tire speed up. I have had better luck in the mud on sport bikes with a medium sized open knob tire versus a self cleaning chevron tread.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
id say the kenda claw is the biggest mud tire u can get that will fit on the 11'' rims

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I run mud scrambles back home, and have had wonderful luck w/ the RZR2s on both the xx and the 450R. You have to drop down a rim size in the back, and take off the mudscraper, but you'd be amazed on the XX how many people you will pass that have their straight axles. I used to run 2 events, one of which 450 was the biggest so that's why I would use that one. Anyway, I was always a minute or 2 faster per lap w/ the XX just b/c it would go thru the mud so much nicer and easier.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
12t sprocket is a MUST if u go to a 24" rear tire. That setup worked great with my bearclaws

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
After doing some more looking around, those Kenda Kutter's are looking rather appealing. I think I might go ahead and get some of them

A friend of mine is a dealer and his supplier has them in stock. They are more than rockymountain ($100 a piece for rears, and I'm getting a discount) but I could get them the day after I order them

EDIT: I finally dropped the sprocket down to 13t (bought it a month ago). Not too bad, but damn that bolt was on there good

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
No way at all I'd run razr's (1's) for the mud.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
For all out mud racing - i might look at some sand paddles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts