Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i am about to do something about my shocks because as we all know they suck. I think my kids pogo stick has better shocks then my quad. But i need youre advice, should i order long travel or short travel should i change my front a-arms and to what Houser or Teixeira?
Should they be 0.75, 1 or 2 inches wider? I do know one thing and that is that i want Elka shocks stage 3, i think that they are a good quality allround shock that both suits for the MX track aswell trail riding in the forest. Please correct me if i am wrong. So what do you think please let me know............I need help...
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Darson,
I have the Elks Shocks (Stage 3 Front and Rears). They are really an amazing improvement over the stock ones. Before I ordered them, I made sure they would be customized by the manufacturer for my weight, riding style/terrain and of course for my machine. A dealer can do all those things for you but MAKE SURE you get the ones that conform to your particular requirements not just off the shelf. My dealer let me talk to the Elka Rep and he assigned a specific part number to the units. When they were delivered, I made sure I got what I ordered.
Good Luck,
Sid

·
Registered
455 Posts
I like Elka because they have no shelf shocks. They are all custom tailored to the buyer. And they are all serial numbered so if you have an issue you can call them up, give them the serial number and they know everything about that particular shock.

If you do mostly trail riding I wouldn't get long travel/extended arms. It's already really wide as it is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just installed Elkas on mine, and went for my first ride OMG what a difference.
I think its needs a better sway bar now.
They were set up from the factory perfectly.
Ride height was right on, just 2 clicks harder on compression on the rear and that’s it. Which will change per conditions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there anything to gain with long travel and wider a-arms do you think or am i just going to waste my money? Do any of you ride MX with stock a-arm and Elka, if you do what do you think of it?

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
The longer a-arms will give you more suspension travel, the ability to adjust an fine tune your suspension and extra ground clearance. I would say go for the long travel. Unless you need to stay narrow for tight woods riding. I only ride trails so I didn't need the extra width.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Yeah, what everyone said so far.
I am going to add the Teixeira upper a-arm because it's camber and caster adjustable... and because Ed is a great guy. He is a supporter of the SCCS and I've talked to him at the races and he makes good products.

http://teixeiratech.com/products.asp?cat=43

roadkill

·
Registered
455 Posts
I second roadkill's motion. I love my Tex uppers.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I bought Ed's + 1-1/4" LT a arms and Motowoz LT front shocks primarilary for XC racing. Not everybodies choice but from a racers/Baxter point of view , a no brainer.
Stock width is 46" , new setup 471/2-48" wide with 4:1 front rims.
I race XC which a lap of 5-8 miles long. Say the track is a 6 mile loop.
About a 1000 yds of this I will struggle and be slower than stock width due to the track being narrow , where the stock setup would blaze threw without a worry and the new set would be shaving bark of the trunk.
That leaves 9560 yds where I have a xx that is plusher , handles better and corners better than anything the stock width could manage.
That was the reason for buying it. :D

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts