Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding this weekend, I am done with stock shocks. I bottomed out on almost every landing. I tired front shocks from an Outlaw 525, but they were even softer than the XX stockers.
I just wondered if there was a better place to buy the shocks than Ebay. I know I see the stage 1 Elkas for $595 and the stage II's for $995.

Here is a video of me following my son on his 90, then me jumping a small jump. You can see how my body reacts when the shocks bottom out. It sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJa79QPJZe4&list=UUR5E_vX6ybCxJXMjma-fG_w&index=1&feature=plcp

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Exhausted where are you riding at in your video?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhausted where are you riding at in your video?
A guy in West point has 100 acres with a home built moto track and 10 miles of trails that he charges a $20 "donation" to ride on all day.

·
Registered
446 Posts
are the elka stage 1 shocks really that much better for $471? or would it be better to just save up for the stage 2 shocks? I don't have the money right now, but Christmas is only 7 months away lol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are the elka stage 1 shocks really that much better for $471? or would it be better to just save up for the stage 2 shocks? I don't have the money right now, but Christmas is only 7 months away lol.
I asked the rep about that, and he told me for the type of riding I do, the stage 1's would be fine and fell 10 times better than stock. He said the only difference is if i were racing i would need the reservoir for more flid capacity, other than that the other stages are just able to be adjusted more.
My problem is I cant just upgrade to ds or yfz shocks because i weigh 260#'s. I got a set of oitlaw 525 front ahocks and put them on but they bottomed oit way too easy. they rode a lot better, but the springs just werent strong enough.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Gotcha, I weigh in at 210 and tend to bottom the shocks out a lot as well, that's why i was wondering.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
The S1 are a good shock but if you are an aggressive rider and ride like this alot , you can make the S1 overheat. I did with mine and I weigh 155lbs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The S1 are a good shock but if you are an aggressive rider and ride like this alot , you can make the S1 overheat. I did with mine and I weigh 155lbs.
After reading this I called Elka direct. I don't know if they were just up selling me or not, but they talked me into the s2's since I like to jump a lot. He said the reservoir helps with the big impacts, not just heat build up from extended periods of riding.
Go them for $770. Ebay has them for $995, so I still did OK I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
After reading this I called Elka direct. I don't know if they were just up selling me or not, but they talked me into the s2's since I like to jump a lot. He said the reservoir helps with the big impacts, not just heat build up from extended periods of riding.
Go them for $770. Ebay has them for $995, so I still did OK I guess.
The S2's have rezzie's. These help keep the shock from overheating better due to the increase in oil capacity.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The S2's have rezzie's. These help keep the shock from overheating better due to the increase in oil capacity.
If that was all they did, i probably wouldn't have upgraded, since I'm too fat to ride hard for more than 10 mins or so. Haha But when he said the Reservoir helps on big impacts, I was sold.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The ones on ebay have a rebound adjustment. If you got the 2s with the adjustment you did really good. If not then thats kinda the going rate. Either way you should be way happier! I just got stage 3 for the rear but havent been able to test them out yet.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ones on ebay have a rebound adjustment. If you got the 2s with the adjustment you did really good. If not then thats kinda the going rate. Either way you should be way happier! I just got stage 3 for the rear but havent been able to test them out yet.
Ya, I got the S2+R that has the rebound adjustment.

I hope so, my body can't handle another day of hard landings like that! Thank god I had some old Vicodin left over! haha

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Ya, I got the S2+R that has the rebound adjustment.

I hope so, my body can't handle another day of hard landings like that! Thank god I had some old Vicodin left over! haha
If you got S2 with rebound adjustment then go in the low numbers.1-10 . Rebound effects the compression stroke alot.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Did you get that price directly through elka? That is a sweet deal! Now you have me debating if I should get the fronts right away to go with my new rears!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you get that price directly through elka? That is a sweet deal! Now you have me debating if I should get the fronts right away to go with my new rears!
No, directly through Honda East. call them through the link I posted above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts