Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 with the 13 tooth sprocket, Uni Air Filter, EHS Lid. I only have money for either the controller or exhaust right now so the controller comes first. Since you can not easily change the map on the EHS controller I was going to buy the Power Commander. Are there any real benefits to one over the other? Thanks in advance for any help...

PS - If it matters I am looking at either the Barkers exhaust or FMF 4.1 with power bomb to be my next purchase after the controller.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I believe that's right. Except the Power Commanders can also subtract fuel, which I don't think the Dobeck-style units can. Plus, they can run full fuel maps like a car, complete with TPS inputs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Dobeck/HMF units can't do that.

Between Power Commanders, I would get the 5. I DON'T have any of these units, so I'm just going off what I've read. But the 5 is significantly smaller, and can run an Autotune if you wanted to expand in the future. To me, that's the way to go.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have the PC5 and love it. the biggest difference would be that you can add the autotune to the 5 which will help fine tune the fuel mapfor you, a big plus when you add mods later on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a power commander 5. and dont forget you can now use the old power commander 3 maps on the 5.

·
Registered
103 Posts
yes im correct as i used a pc3 map for my setup.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Folks remember with the Commander its not just about downloading maps from the Net or elswear then going riding. To get the full benifit of the Commander you need to get it on the Dyno and that's wear the Commander really shines over other standard Fuel controllers.

Overlord

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. You guys are great...

PC V sounds good since it does everything the PC III does and more. Curious though. I really dont like Dyno time. Does this mean that the PC will not produce good power without the Dyno tune? I dont care about every last hp/tq. I have the PC III on my HD and it worked well out of the box.

Would the EHS setup be any better since they do a lot of work with the TRX?

Trying to be plug and play since I dont race at all.

Thanks again

Bill

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but running the Autotune with the PC5 will take care of that. It will correct itself--just download a map for similar mods and let it do the rest. At least, that's my understanding (and my plan, so I can have true, closed-loop altitude adjustment). So if you're willing to cough up the money for the Autotune unit, you have an always-optimized system, supposedly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sarge, you can still down load maps and ride (no sweat) but to get the most out of the Commander you need to Dyno.

Overlord

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a PC5 with Autotune, and the Auto-tune is very senstive. It kept wanting to lean down the fuel mixture, it was actually sensing the rich condition from my air filter getting dirty. I cleaned the air filter and it wanted to richen the fuel. Using the fuel trims from the auto-tune, My fan was running alot and it was backfiring. I think it was making it too lean, so i just loaded the base map for my mods, and it runs better now. That's just been my experience. The auto tune does not completely eliminate the need for adjusting the fuel map, it recommends fuel map trims and you have to view and apply the trim table with the software.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Ok, thanks for the explanation, Woods.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Off to the dyno boys like I said.

Overlord

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
the Ehs controller is good from what i hear. I have not tried it so i really cant give any feedback on it. the only thing i can say about it is i have not heard one negative comment on this forum about the ehs controller and their customer service is second to none. The reason their controller is so good out of the box is EHS has spent a lot of time dynoing with the barkers system so there setup is the closest out of the box.

Now the reason i went with a PC3 is due to the fact that i want to do some engine mods. Now the EHS controller can handle the mods but it is easier for me to get a PC3 tuned around here than it would be the EHS controller. They have tons of dynos with PC3 software where EHS is the only one with their software for now. Now EHS will send you what ever you need but for me it was just easier to use the PC3.

Now the PC5 yes it is smaller but it doesnt do more than the pc3 unless you pay the extra 250.00 for auto tune. which hasnt proven to me its worth it. and then you have to cut a bunghole in your pipe and run a sensor. so if your not planning on paying 500-600 dollars for a programmmer save your money and get the PC3 or EHS.

hope this helps

·
Registered
574 Posts
I like my PV5 I like the map switch on the fly and the small size. It is only a few dollars more than the 3. They only list the 5 for an 09 but it works on a 08 as well, there is no difference in the machines. Except the red ones are faster.

http://store.58cycle.com/category_s/4675.htm

Price includes shipping.

:xx:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts