Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately iam sick for extended A-arms.... their are kits on ebay for houser a-arms and elka shocks with extended brake lines for 1600 bucks

but i also like the sonic kit as well......

i know its super early to plan out how to spend my x-mas bonus but still

iam nutty about getting eaither of these

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
exactly... front and get some rear spacers in the meantime... when you can afford it, go for the rear... at least that's what i'm gonna do

·
Registered
136 Posts
You need to sort the front out first. The standard shocks on the front are terrible. Together with the width makes riding with attitude difficult. Sonic, Roll Design and Houser all do front arms now.
Once you get the front sorted then look at the rear. The rear shocks ain't too bad.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i looked but didnt see sonic front arms.

when i do the front arms will it handle nutty a higher speeds with out a damper ?

what about with the spacers on the back... i want to avoid alot of as we say in the sport bike world " head shake"

·
Registered
734 Posts
if you change the arms up front to wider yo will feel the same as when stock, if you swap rims or us spacers up front then you will definitely feel it in your wrists.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are the spacers any good ? i have read that they brake and various other scary things about them ?

·
Registered
734 Posts
NEVER use spacers up front, you will put undue stress on the front a-arms as you change the geometry and also the studs will be cut if you are a jumper.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've got 1.5" spacer/adapters (4/144 to 4/110) all around and I have yet to have any problems with them. They seem to hold up really well, but I got them custom made and made sure they were good quality aircraft-grade aluminum. I go over jumps too...nothing really big, but so far, so good.
I've heard of cheap ones breaking though, and that would be horrible to happen while you're riding. :O

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got 1.5" spacer/adapters (4/144 to 4/110) all around and I have yet to have any problems with them. They seem to hold up really well, but I got them custom made and made sure they were good quality aircraft-grade aluminum. I go over jumps too...nothing really big, but so far, so good.
I've heard of cheap ones breaking though, and that would be horrible to happen while you're riding. :O
I don't know any thing about a-arms, however I'm sure they are designed with assumed pressure to be a set distance from the frame of the bike. When you change the distance of pressure with spacers, you are compromissing the engineering of the a-arms. They may not fail now, next week, next month or even a year from now, but they will fail and the failure will most likely be catastrophic (complete break). If you are going to continue to use spacers, I would check the a arms for stress on a frequent basis. This is just my opinion.... right or wrong!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've run them, IMO they only change the bump steer which is bad and unsprung weight also, but I think the a-arms can handle the pressure seems like to me it would be harder on bearings, but I never had any problems. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm no expert either, but I'll just check the A-arms pretty often just to be safe. Not like it takes much of any time at all. They don't seem to really help the steering at all, but it doesn't bother me. I really just like the wider stance for cosmetic purposes...well, that, and I like having 4/110 bolt pattern so I can have a better pick of wheels/tires.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yea that makes it eaiser for sure, lots more wheel combos!

·
Registered
18 Posts
why do the spacers put more strain on your arms,, and wide a arms dont??? wider is wider isnt it ? I like my spacers alot the make the bike steer 100% better

·
Registered
551 Posts
I never felt they made the steering "heavy" or strain my arms either. But unsprung weight is bad. Racers do not like it at all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For easier steering your front wheels should be brought in as far as possible to the balljoint axis. This will make the quad less twitchy on high speed straights too. To do this use a 4+1 offset wheel. The disadvantage of this is that the quad will be thinner and therefore feel more unstable. To combat this you need to extend the arms at least back to where they were. Houser will do this but for a more stable ride and less oversteer go for something like the Roll Design +2.5" or the Sonic +2".
A racer wouldn't use spacers on the front for handling reasons. So the rule of thumb is arms out and wheels in. The main problem on the 700xx is the height!

Finally it depends on what you want to do with the 700xx. I admit I have used spacers to look good and even jumped big with them. I have snapped 3 axles through my years and the first one to break was a stock one which was fitted with rear spacers. The spacers held out ok while the axle broke clean through near the sprocket.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
NEVER use spacers up front, you will put undue stress on the front a-arms as you change the geometry and also the studs will be cut if you are a jumper.
+1 on that. Front spacers suck. They actually make the quad LESS stable.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
iam getting sick to see what its like to ride an xx with eaither wider arms or wheel spacers on the front ( and rear for that matter )

i want to try the spacers, its cheeper then the 1800 for the long travle set up

1 - 20 of 37 Posts