2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question. Why do YOU ride.

Cause of the thrill?
The challenge?
Girls think its cool?
You like to show off?

Why do you ride?

Riding to me is something I started when I was 5 on a Suzuki 50 quad. My dad owned a construction company and when he did larger jobs or the area was suitable, he would let me ride where he could keep an eye on me but still work. I then spent MANY years with him hunting riding on a TRX200 through out Texas and Missouri. I ride now to remember the times I spent with my father out in the country, in the trees, the nature, the wildlife and the good times I have being around my closets' friends, doing something we all enjoy together and to relax.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Because its phucking fun. It's an adrenaline rush cracking the throttle and letting yhe machine cut loose. All of that power being under my control really gets my blood flowing. And when you start going fast, climbing hills, doing wheelies, and just straight ripping down down trails it just brings my excitement level up even more. I also started at 5 on my hand me down LT50, but dwindled out until I got into middle school and I picked it up again. It was something the whole family could enjoy, and I found many friends who enjoyed it too. Not every rides these days, but other than my family, riding is all I really care about. It is not a hobby to me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mines plain and simple. There are 2 things in life that get my undivided attention. The woods, and motors. Combine the 2 and you have an Atv. That would be at the core of why I ride. I do enjoy all the benefits I get from it. The adrenaline from steep hillclimbs, the speed, doing something you didn't think you could do. I am trying to make good habits for my son and try to get him into some good hobbies also.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
The simplest answer would be: Because I can.
But, there is more to it than a simple answer.

4 years ago, I went up to Washington to visit a friend and while I was up there, he took his family to a poker run. While at the poker run, I tried out his 450r and his daughter's 250ex. When I got home, I went out and bought myself a 300ex. I didn't intend to keep the 300ex long, just long enough to get used to riding. Before long (7-8 months) I wanted something faster and went out and got my 700xx and now I'm hooked. I'm 63 now and I ride FAST, not like you'd expect from someone my age. In 2012, I'll be racing in XC in SCCS. Not too bad for a 63yo right?

Riding and being able to keep pace with others half my age keeps me feeling young.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
You pretty much named them all Jeff!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever!

My friends had atvs growing up and I never had one of my own. Now I'm kind of over compensating, haha. I'm a gear head, I love riding and working on these machines. I'd like to keep going and adding on to my skill set. I'm looking to possibly play around with porting next. Definitely an atv guy though. Started off on a $700 dirt bike that I bought in high school that wasn't running. I fixed it and rode the balls off it. I eventually got an atv and I'm not looking back!

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I race because no matter how bad things have gotten over the years, I always had two things. A start gate and a chequered flag. Between those two nothing else mattered. Couldn't answer my mobile, when the shit hit the fan at work and it did "often". Whether it be 2 minutes or 3 hours , this was my time and nature could throw it's best and it would never stop me from trying.

There's a part 2 of this and when I can figure how to put itn into words , I will do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I started on a yamaha 100 at 6yrs old.... never stopped...motors and speed have always had my attention..Its not simply adrenaline....When I ride nothing else matters, all the stress disapears.. the faster I go the more I focus and my mind quiets! AS an adult my entire family rides so theres nothing but fun memories and many more to be made... Teaching my niece and nephew to ride has been cool to pass along what I know.... My 12 yr old nephew learned to ride a manual clutch on my 700 this summer.... its not about where u ride...its who you ride with!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too started riding at a young age of 7. Riding always provided a way to hang with buddies and enjoy the outdoors. Now as I get older, it provides a great stress reliever and a way to hang onto my youth.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I rode street machines for many years but decided that everyone was out to cut me off. Had some harrowing experiences but never got slammed. As years went by I took up running. Did that for 27 years until my knees went bad (pavement and desert). I love the desert and wanted to remain as close as possible to that so the quad became my only avenue. Got the 660 Grizzly in 2005 and rode it every opportunity. “The need for speed" hit me and so in 2008 came the 700XX. Love that machine for those days when that spirit hits me.
Well, there's my story.
Sid

·
Registered
574 Posts
I love to ride. Started with riding mini bikes when I was 4 or 5. I rode my first trail bike at 7. I have been riding bikes ever since(I still have 2 street bikes). On the trail the qaud is much safer than a bike for me, at 52 the prospect of crashing has even less appeal than when I was younger. I will ride until I need to be resuscitated. If I make it I will be back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I ride because it is nice to get away from everyday issues and enjoy the great outdoors. plus we play as a family so the kids are with us when we go out. so we make it something for the whole family to enjoy not just the adults. when the kids get a bit older i plan on getting them something i didnt have growing up. motorized toys of their own.

·
Registered
101 Posts
why i ride? this will be long and drawn out, im in business and the stress is tough so when im flying through the woods it forces me to forget my problems and focus on the trail. it makes me feel like a man!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I always wanted a quad when I was a kid. I was very jealous of other kids that had them when I was growing up. I never really got to ride much as a kid though. We had snowmobiles, but not quads.

Fast forward 20 years and watching my 8 year old son start getting addicted to his PS3 and start turning into a wussy, I decided to get him the TRX 90. He loved it, his 5 year old sister loved it, and my fiance loved it. Next thing you know we have a whole fleet and a toy hauler. Now for the money of a week at Disney world, we have a blast as a family 2-3 weekends a month.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ride or drive anything that is fast, or handles like a dream. My newsest toy; an 84 fiero se, not real fast but man that thing gets thru the turns. Ive had 200mph bikes, a 150mph quad, and a 150 mph 4WD truck. speed thrills

·
Registered
55 Posts
To get out with the guys and feel like a kid again. Can't wait for my son to get a little older then it will be to have some father/ son time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My grandfather bought my first go kart at the age of 3. I know sounds like bs but it's the truth, it was a 3.5 hp gruntman all green with a crazy looking sticker on the floor pan. Dad cut two small 2x4s and bolted them to the gas and brake, I wore that thing out over the next 3 years. At 6 years old I fell in love with the XR80 and was bought one for Christsmas that year. Then two years later came the XR100 and not 6 month down the road I ask dad if I could start racing MC. Once I talked him into it I remember seeing that sexy CR80 for the first time.....oooobaby! At 13 the CR125 and after that the CR250 at 16. After high school I got away from racing and moved on to the 250R 4 wheelers for just fun riding. I got married and the wife made the 250 go away for the house and child. Im 35 now been married for 12 years with a 9 year old so I thought the time was right for us as a family ;) to buy fourwheelers!!!!
Recon 250 for child
Rancher 350 for wife
700XX for dad!!!!!!!!!!

If you ever start riding it's the most addictive thing on planet earth!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ride for the thrill, the excitment, the freedom the adventure the get away from the ordinary

i love desert racing and anythign off road and have been camping since i was a kid I love it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts