Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I will change it, but each side of sprocket was not the same, wich one I put on the shaft first?

first or second on this pictures?

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
I am pretty sure the first pic is the outside of the sprocket. 2nd pic is against the motor. Not 100% but pretty sure.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am pretty sure the first pic is the outside of the sprocket. 2nd pic is against the motor. Not 100% but pretty sure.
I'm pretty sure its the other way around lol.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Found the answer!!!

In service manuel I download on this forum, page 13-16 it's write:

Install the drive sprocketwith its groove side facing out

so tory you're right!!!!!

srry to post before seeking in the manuel:(

·
Registered
755 Posts
Wait so the second picture is against the motor? That means mine is on backwards!

·
Registered
157 Posts
It should be put in just how it looks in the 2nd picture.

Wait so the second picture is against the motor? That means mine is on backwards!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Wizy is correct, the manual does state this:

Install the drive sprocket with its groove side facing out
Even shows a pic, picture number one is the correct way per the manual, groove away from the motor.

I would have guessed wrong, I know these are the same sprockets as the 450R, and those are put on like pic #2, grooves towards the motor. Guess I will for sure pay attention when I remove my front sprocket for the first time!

Doug

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
When I took mine off from stock the groove was towards the motor. That's how I always have done it and never had an issue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I install it this friday, I will take picture before removing it, and picture for HOW TO: grinding protector and install it!!!!

I see it between 2 plastic, and it seem to be picture 1 was bolt side (2 motor side) but i'm not sure!!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I double checked the service manual on this and on Pg. 292 it definately shows the grove on the sprocket going towards the engine and the bolt and washer is on the side with the bump out. Just wanted to let you know where to find it

·
Registered
671 Posts
I double checked the service manual on this and on Pg. 292 it definately shows the grove on the sprocket going towards the engine and the bolt and washer is on the side with the bump out. Just wanted to let you know where to find it
But then check page 306, it actually tells you how to install it, groove side facing out. I just went out and looked at mine, it sure looks like the bump side is towards the washer and bolt, opposite of the manual. Should be pretty obvious what way to install it after you take it off. If just one side of the teeth are worn, the sprocket is on wrong. I ran the sprocket the wrong way for years on my 250R, the way I realized it was looking at the wear pattern on the sprocket.

Doug

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That is messed up that they show it one way then another. I wonder if the dealer set mine up wrong too then because I got it with the grove in not out

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
This is weird though. I talked to my 2 other buddies and they both have the groove facing the engine the same as me. One of them said he turned it with the groove facing out before because he read that in the manual and it made a chattering noise. He put it back this way and the noise stopped. The parts fiche at the dealer sites also show it with the groove towards the engine. I also checked my buddy's raptor a minute ago and while I know it is a different machine, his sprocket groove was also facing the engine. I called the dealer to ask them. They were unsure but asked if I look down the chain from the rear does it look straight. It does and it lines up perfect with the plastic chain guard that is on the frame. They said that it could be a typo in the service manual and that there are actually many times that happens (scary thought). I have had mine with the groove facing in for over a year and have had no issues and the wear pattern on the chain and sprockets look even. Just letting you guys know my experience with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts