Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my parents and i went and test drove a 2012 rzr and now i want a utv more than ever. So i would like to try to build myself one but i would like it to be 2wd and have a standard trans so what engine do you guys think would work for this? And is it stupid that i want to try to build this? Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
821 Posts
How good are your skills. I think an r1 engine would be awesome. But with a veicle as big as utvs, I would suggest something you could switch between 2 and 4

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my welding skills are pretty good with a mig. and i'm pretty good with mechanical stuff. so i think that I could do it, the engine wiring harness might be a little difficult for me but I think that if I just wired one thing at a time I think that I would be ok. I was thinking about using a 700xx engine do you think that it would be a big enough engine for a utv? also what do you mean when you said something you can switch between 2 and 4? do you mean between 2 and 4wd?

·
Registered
151 Posts
i heard they are making mini score trucks out of most everything but the frame of the 700xx that would be a blast if you dont care about passengers

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Something big like a UTV you would want the capability of being 4x4. As far as an engine, it depends on what you want to do with it. I've seen 1000cc motorcycle engines in homemade UTVs, some with super or turbochargers, and they hauled Arse. The 700 could be enough, but I am afraid you'd want more. Plus, you would really have to upgrade the clutch big time. You could find a nice V-twin, like a 95Ci for prolly 500 to a grand, and that wouldn't only sound mean, but it'd give you plenty of torque down low which you would need in something so heavy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well what I was wanting to do with it was be able to have something that my parents could get in and go trail riding with me when I go on my xx. i was wanting to use the transfer case from the rzr but they want like 2 grand for one. so my dream of being able to build my own offroad side by side might be fading quickly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah don't really know what i would do with that mini truck beside try to tear the body off of it and replace it with a roll cage.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
The clutch wont last in the 700 motor with all that extra weight it would need some major upgrading

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i have been thinking about just getting started building the rzr frame and then seeing how much the transmission from the new rzr 570 will be when it comes out and the parts are available for the rzr 570 and then just use the 570 motor and trans.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I would use the rear drive from the 700 and an r1 motor but id build it like a dune buggy more than a utv I've been wanting to do this for a long time but never have the time or the funds

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been thinking about trying to find a samurai and then building it up for off-roading but then it wouldn't be able to go on any of the forest trail because it would be to wide. but I would like either that or a jeep. so maybe i should just see if I can find a old samurai to build up.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I actually started a project like this a while back. I have a thread up in the pictures section.
http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7143

Started out as a 1993 suzuki quad runner 250 2wd and now it has a little bit of everything. Just building something to drive around the farm. It has alot of pieces from my dad rzr. (he rolled it and i kept all the damaged parts for my project)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey again guys. well since I posted this thread i have since bought a dc tig welder to learn to use so i can use it on my project. and I have also been thinking about my project a little bit. and I have a question does anybody know if the rzr cv axles would fit into the rear drive of the 700xx or not?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would highly doubt they would be the same. Sounds to me like more people would like to see something like the pilot, or Odyssey again. They were pretty much go carts with Atv suspension and motors, pretty neat rides. I think that would be a niche ride worth building again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay guys so if i built it like a dune buggy but with room for 4 people and used the rear drive from a xx would the chain drive hold up?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts