Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , what kind of stuff do you guys carry for the bike on an xc type event?
So for I have the below
Co2
Tyre repair kit
Tow rope
Hammer (bent rims)
tape
fuses
tie wraps
Simple tools

Any known weak parts or points the trx has?

Has anyone made a spare wheel mount? Im seriously thinking about it. It wouldn’t take much longer changing a wheel than plugging a badly torn one or hammering straight a bent rim and the stockers aren’t so heavy. Also the pcd for front and rear is the same so 1 front spare could be used front or rear if required. Thoughts? Imagine the confidence you would get if you knew you had a spare wheel on board! Tireballs etc are too pricey for me.

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
depends on what type ya doin.
Most xc in the UK are 5-8 mile loops and everything I need are in the pits.
Are you doing loops or start to finish ?
No loops.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only baxter? or was everybody out riding like they're supposed to be???
anyways thanks but slit rear tire 10km into practice ride yesterday, just when i decided it was time to open the throttle (new bike / run in).
so race is out the window. this one was a short 25km and 50km loop and so expected to be mega rough.

at this point i feel really conned, or i didnt make an informed decision. the trx it seems was built for the show room floor where many have done a stirling job.

the msrp (is that spelt right?) has naturally albeit slowly come to its correct level at 3500usd i believe (note to honda).
pity i and others paid more than that.

after that you need to have corrected the castor/camber, bought 20th century suspension and tires that are thicker than 2ply toilet paper, you can now take it out of the showroom and risk riding it amongst other manufacturers equipment of comparable price.

heres a pic of my headache

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
depends on what type ya doin.
Most xc in the UK are 5-8 mile loops and everything I need are in the pits.
Are you doing loops or start to finish ?
No loops.
Here in California the XC racing (SCCS) is on a 5mi (approx) loop. All the repair stuff is left in the pits... It's only extra weight in a timed event. By the time you plugged a tire, the race would be over. As for a tow rope... Who would tow you?? The other riders are in a race and won't give you a tow. After the race, a sweeper is sent out to make sure the course is clear and everyone gets back in... that's you tow... they go out prepared to tow people back in. As for things like zip ties, fuses and tape... and your under seat tool kit. All of that is small/light and can fit under your seat. However, finding your problem and fixing... fuse, tape up, zip tie something, may take more time than you have. But, at least you won't need to be towed back in.

roadkill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are those like frinds and back markers that would tow you out of a mud hole or ditch, spare you some fuel etc etc and those that wont.

its not a full out speed event its a cross country where road books are used and gps points. no one is allowed to pre view the course. its usually a start stop event of arnd 100km per day for 2 days. this one had to be put togther in a hurry so its been looped.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
So its a 100km race. What sort of time frame ,would you do this in ?
Agreeing with Doug (Roadkill) on this one . No use taking parts that take too long to change . When it gets to this point , youve got to decide to stop and save the quad from expensive damage and pull out or keep going and change before the start of the next days race.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Well I have changed tires in a race as well as straitened tie rods so my best advice is have those on hand any thing else is almost pointless due to time
I am running a team event so I have 10- 20 min depending on length of the track before my partner comes back around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts