Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright members, I've decided to step up from my 400ex to a 700xx.

Going to buy used, and wondered what current owners would recommend I pay particular attention to? For instance, weak frame, steering or suspension concerns, engine issues.

I've been looking through various theads and couldn't find any areas of concern identified. Didn't know if no one listed them or if Honda put out a solid bike.

FYI - I do mostly desert trail riding (hard rock, sand washes, etc). Don't need/want a loud, fast rocket bike, just a great trail bike. Future upgrades over stoke would be - ims tank, 12 or 13 tooth front sproket, front shocks, tires.

All thougbts appreciated.
:thanks:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well let me just say that I went from a 400ex to a 700xx and I could not be happier. The XX is a very reliable bike just as any Honda bike would be. The same goes for XX as any bike you buy used, just take it for a ride and make sure it doesn't smoke and everything sounds good and rides good. I bought mine used and have no regrets. Keep in mind the XX has a big bore motor and will not sound the same as a 400. Hope this helps and good luck with your search there are great deals out there on used bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well let me just say that I went from a 400ex to a 700xx and I could not be happier. The XX is a very reliable bike just as any Honda bike would be. The same goes for XX as any bike you buy used, just take it for a ride and make sure it doesn't smoke and everything sounds good and rides good. I bought mine used and have no regrets. Keep in mind the XX has a big bore motor and will not sound the same as a 400. Hope this helps and good luck with your search there are great deals out there on used bikes.
Thanks for the response from a prior 400ex owner.

I considered the can-am renegade but saw many discussions about bent frames and have never had an issue with Honda (be it old ATCs, dirt or trail bikes, or my 400) so naturally gravitated back to the XX.

Will do the mechanical look over:
- Fluids - color and smell
- Lift beast up to make sure front and rear a-arms are tight
- Brakes - check pads, and discs for neglect
- Electrical - make sure no one hasn't hacked up the harnesses
- Air cleaner - there, not dirty, torn, etc
- Scuff marks on or bent bars
- Generally look around for problems.

Just didnt know if owners started to find out the XX had a few skeletons:
- Eats cv joints
- Because it's a little "plump" there are any weak frame issues
- Shimmys over 80, or throws too much dirt on Raptor owners' goggles - not necessarilly what I'm after but makes for nice reading. :yay:

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey I see your in Phoenix, the Scottsdale Apache Honda has a new 09 XX listed on thier site. The listed price is high but I bet they would come down, my 08 was originally purchased from them in 2010 for 4200 bucks. I even have the reciept if it helps you make a deal...

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
3 things , I would do.
1: Take the dipstick out and wipe with kitchen roll. This will tell you how often , the owner changes the oil.
2 : Check the air filter, if it matches the oil color. this guy justs rides it.
3 : take it for a ride, check 3rd to 4th change. If you are still smiling after this , then buy it. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3 things , I would do.
1: Take the dipstick out and wipe with kitchen roll. This will tell you how often , the owner changes the oil.
2 : Check the air filter, if it matches the oil color. this guy justs rides it.
3 : take it for a ride, check 3rd to 4th change. If you are still smiling after this , then buy it. :D
Perfect! Just what I'm after.

Will do.

Have you seen issues from 3rd to 4th or are ya hinting that before hitting 5th I'll be reaching for the geenbacks?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts

FYI - I do mostly desert trail riding (hard rock, sand washes, etc). Don't need/want a loud, fast rocket bike, just a great trail bike. Future upgrades over stoke would be - ims tank, 12 or 13 tooth front sproket, front shocks, tires.

All thougbts appreciated.
:thanks:
I'd also suggest you add to your list...
1. Skid plate.
2. Bumper.
3. Nerf bars.
4. Sway bar upgrade.
5. Life insurance... j/k

roadkill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts