Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Kenda Kutter Sliced Side Wall on 2nd Ride

6K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  fraiolib 
#1 ·
I live in Knoxville, TN and ride on real rocky trails.

I was 15 minutes into my second ride with the Kenda Kutter 22x9-11 rears and my Buddy pulled up and said my right rear tire was flat.

Anyone else having problems with the side walls holding up in rocky terrain?

#3 ·
What tire pressures are you running?

I dropped down to 4.75psi in the rears for the ride, since it had rained a bunch the night before.

I've read that more pressure prevents flats, but I would think if the sidewall has more give, it would be Less prone to puncture... what am I missing here?

#4 ·
I agree with you all the way. As far as reading higher is better, I don't belive this or can I understand it at all. If tire has less pressure there is more give, and there for less chance of a puncture. I run my rear Kutters around 3-4 lbs. Higher if I am just going to be on the blacktop, for better speed but only like 5lbs.

#6 ·
I am thinking of using my damaged tire as a tubed spare for out of town rides.

I have a question for you guys that have used a tube on an offset wheel like our rears. What type of valve stem did the tube have...

1) Was the stem offset on the tube (to bring the stem more to one side of the tube)
2) Did the stem have a 90 degree bend?

Thanks.

#8 ·
How ever you try to explain this it makes no sense to me. And I have yet to cut a tire, and I'm sure you have seen the videos of the terrain I ride. I would rather my tire flex over a sharp object, than not flex and then bingo there's a sliced tire. Hell I ran my stock tires till they were almost bald in the mountains of West Virginia.

#13 ·
My experience with Quads and Jeeps is that the lower pressure grants better traction in the rocky stuff but also increases the possibility of the sidewall folding and pinching between rock and rim. This is how most sidewall punctures occur. Lower pressure also increases the possibility of popping the bead (unless you have beadlocks). I guess its just a balancing act.

I run 5-6 psi and watch my line carefully when attacking the sharp granite stuff...

#16 ·
I too have had both sidewalls get damaged on a new pair of Kenda Kutters. They both got cut at Chadwick, Mo riding area that has lots of rocky trails. The first day both of the tires were cut on the 700! I then rode a Z400 with Holeshot HD's for the next 3 days.
I am not impressed at all with the Kendas.

#18 ·
Over the last few months, I have learned I have to runner higher tire pressure's in my rear 700xx tires then I ever have in my 450R's. The reason? The 11" rear wheel. Not as much sidewall, so when you hit a rock, there is not as much "give" and you end up pinching the tire between the rim and the rock. The max rear tire pressure I would ever run in my 450R tires was 7 psi, but 5 was typical. (9" wheel.) All my rear flats on my 700XX have been while running 7 psi.

The first few flats I got I throught were due to rocks hitting the sidewall. I finally noticed that the puncture's were right where the edge of the rim would hit the sidewall when the tire was compressed. Just something for you guys who are puncturing sidewalls to look at. Started running 10 psi and haven't had a flat since.

So, in the case of pinch flatting, more air is better. Not really thrilled with the traction I get now, but not much I can do about it, alot less traction with a flat tire!

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.