LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 Old 04-10-2016, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSnowman View Post
The 2 thin slivers of aluminum that hold it on the bike.
Those 2 slivers on mine are 7mm thick! The thin part is where the cargo goes, that's why I reinforced mine there. I'm not sure what we can do to strengthen the side to side sway. Rack is plenty strong to lift the weight of the quad as long as it's straight up, like I said before, I personally think its strong enough up and down, but needs some sort of X brace in the center.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by M_Quick; 04-11-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 04-28-2016, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well, just came back from 195 HARD miles of Hatfield McCoy trail riding. Rack held up great with NO problems. Still carried the same amount of stuff. 2 rotopax cans and divers box with tools. To me, the fix I did should come with the rack. If you can not carry gas and tools, then why have a utility rack? I would have just kept my six pack rack. If I remember I'll post "after" pictures. Rack held up, but got a slice on the back tire. We know how many choices we Don't have for tires, so I was out of luck. Had to keep adding fix a flat because it was in the sidewall.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-28-2016, 12:55 PM

Garage
Good deal! Next time try and get pictures of what ever you say broke, as I'm still confused. Your add on pieces have nothing to do with a repair just a upgrade. I talked to my friend Keith yesterday about this, when he was over looking at the mods to my quad. And I explained your issue the best I could. Anyway he has a different approach to strengthen the sway in the rack. If I follow through with it, I'll post what I try to fix the issue. I see no issue in packing weight, if I can lift the quad off the ground by the grab bar, I should be able to put 20 lbs in it w/out issues. Again please explain what broke on rack, or did your bolts just fall out?

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by M_Quick; 05-24-2016 at 04:32 PM.

post #14 of 21 Old 05-01-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

M Quick, If you haven't put weight on the rack yet, just wait. Standard set up, I could pick up and pull the quad with no issues. It felt like it was strong enough hold my 2 cans and tools. Infant, I could pull and push the quad with everything on it. What is the issue Is when you are going 50 mph on trails and the G Force that you will put on the rack! It broke with in 5 minutes. What broke was where it attaches to the Plastic under the seat. I will add at the time I only had 2 bolt holes and hadn't drilled the third. To me, this isn't going to support it enough to trail ride. If I hadn't of talked to a guy on the Hatfield McCoy site I wouldn't have been aware that this problem has happened to somebody else.
After the rack broke away from the plastic, it was hanging and bouncing around. This is when we started putting ratchet straps to try and support the rack back into the original design. This is when we were breaking ratchet straps. Again, this lets me know how much force the rack is having when hauling ass on the trail. If you have already put weight on the rack and had no problems, maybe the 3rd hole drilled is the answer. For me, I don't see how plastic support will hold anything. Infant, after this ride the plastic taps broke again. I'll try and get pictures.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 AM

Garage
I guess I still don't get it. The plastic support? My rack has no plastic support. It does however have fender supports. Which do just that, support the fenders. Should be able to remove those, and rack be fine. Just the fenders would flop around, lol. Just wish I guess you had a picture of whatever broke, to help me understand. Cause your pictures of the added support, don't show anything fixing something broken? I believe you had the issues and I'm not trying to be arrogant. I guess I will see when I hit West Virginia for memorial days annual 10 mile ride.

post #16 of 21 Old 05-03-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I'd suggest do yourself a favor and spend the extra $20 and prefab the design I've got. I didn't and it ruins a day of riding. If you are not carrying gas, then you'll probably be ok. I wanted the 2 gallons of gas just in case we got lost. The plastic tabs under the "mud flaps" that are a "support". Are getting more abuse than you might think. Even after this last ride the plastic tab under the mud flap came apart from the plastic. If you don't plan on putting much weight you may be fine. I don't think you are being arrogant, I would have been the same way if I hadn't experienced it for my self. I thought as firm as the rack felt, I was good. 5 minutes of Hatfield McCoy trails and I was looking for ratchet straps to help support the rack. Once again, not sure what weight you will put on it, if it's anything like 2 gallons of gas a 2 lbs of tools, then you may want to go to lowes, buy two strips of aluminum. Drill holes, cut to support the back angle. Get locking Teflon nuts with red loc tite and have near by. Where are you riding in WV. I'm assuming you mint 100 miles and not 10.

On another side note, this was the first time I've cut a tire. It was on the sidewall. So in the future I plan on bringing extra 11" spares, cause you can't find them!! So I just got tubes put into my old tires/rims. Now I probably will put the new tires on new dwt rims?
post #17 of 21 Old 05-05-2016, 02:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbleach View Post
I'd suggest do yourself a favor and spend the extra $20 and prefab the design I've got.Where are you riding in WV. I'm assuming you mint 100 miles and not 10.
Do you suggest aluminum because of weight? I was thinking steel may even be better for this, as there wouldn't be as much side flex. And no its a place called ten mile mud hole, here's a video link. We ride there from my Uncles, a lot of blacktop, some trail, and a few creeks to get there.

post #18 of 21 Old 05-06-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm really just suggesting to bring something just in case. I didn't and the first ride with the rack sucked! Aluminum to me looks nice and matches like it came with the rack. Steel would be more sturdy, but I didn't have any problems with the aluminum. I'd just say bring parts in case you run into the same problem I did. I hope you don't, but like I said, somebody else on the Hatfield McCoy site had mentioned an issue, I didn't think as sturdy as the rack felt when I first installed that I'd have a problem. Wrong.
Good luck. If you are close to Bramwell WV, maybe we can hook up and ride. The latest mod I did was installed a light bar and 12v adapter. Haven't driven with it yet, so don't know how long it will last or if it is sturdy enough. Think I paid $40 for light off eBay. Cree/led light bar and $16 for the supports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0194.jpg (50.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0195.jpg (35.5 KB, 13 views)
post #19 of 21 Old 05-08-2016, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
If you are close to Bramwell WV, maybe we can hook up and ride. The latest mod I did was installed a light bar and 12v adapter. Haven't driven with it yet, so don't know how long it will last or if it is sturdy enough. Think I paid $40 for light off eBay. Cree/led light bar and $16 for the supports.

No where near Bramwell, hell I'm north of Williamson 30 miles.
The lights look great, I hope they handle the harsh trails. Are those odi lock-ons? If so what size are they 120 or 130mm?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.8...37.3251163!3e0

Last edited by M_Quick; 05-08-2016 at 07:31 PM.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'd suggest do yourself a favor and spend the extra $20 and prefab the design I've got.
I decided to spend $25.00 And revamp your mod a bit. I alrdy had some bolts washers and lock nuts, so I just had to buy the piece of aluminum. I ran out of material so instead of adding the x brace, I just added 2 cross supports, and came up with a new storage space in the process.

Last picture is just showing tail light view.
I wanted to use 1/4" thick aluminum, but all they had was the 1/8" So I used a 6' piece 1/8" thick of 1 1/2" angle. Cut into 3 2ft sections. Cut a angle on the top to align with the rack. And a notch in the bottom to clear the frame. Drilled holes in the 2 mounting areas on each side, and I went to the rear bolt on the rack/grab bar. I figured it would add more support there. Then I rough measured from bolt to bolt, and came up with 21" So at 7" & 14" up I cut a cross brace and installed them both. Idk what but I'm sure I can find something to store back there. And this thing is stout, it barely moved before adding cross braces. And now this bitch don't move at all!

Last edited by M_Quick; 05-25-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode